Hard to start when cold. Where to from here.?

sheeNZ

Hey all, i have recently got my hands on a 98 banshee and am having trouble getting it started when its cold. I have to kick it 50 odd times before i can get it to crank up. When it does finally crank up, she idles fine and goes hard when you want her to. I let it sit for a half hour and it will crank up on the 2nd kick. Left it for an hour and had to kick more than 10 times, gave up in the end.Have so far changed plugs and plug caps, cut abit off the leads before screwing new caps on cleaned air filter, compression is 119 on the right and 120 on the left side. kicked untill needle stoped moving, before you ask, choke tube is on and bowls r on the right sides, slides are facing right way. TORS has been deleted but  i dont think the side of carbs have been ground down.? Have tried pulling jam nut off and screwing idle screws all the way in and still wont crank up. It has a boost bottle and fattys on it. Im wandering what to do next.??  Any help would be appreciated cheers..

It has fmf gold series expansion chambers and toomey pipes and a boost bottle.. everthing else is stock from what i believe.. had been sitting for awile before i got it. Got the tank cleaned out and changed needle and floats. Thinking maybe a pilot could be blocked up.?

4 hours ago, trickedcarbine said:

What mods and what Pilot Jets are in the carbs?

Find out what pilots, needles and mains you have in the carbs.

Blow the jets out with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Clean all orifices of carbs with carb cleaner and compressed air.

What elevation and what is the ambient air temp where you're at?

What kind of air intake do you have, i.e., stock airbox/filter/lid, pod filters on the carbs?

1 hour ago, Strm Trpr said:

Find out what pilots, needles and mains you have in the carbs.

Blow the jets out with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Clean all orifices of carbs with carb cleaner and compressed air.

What elevation and what is the ambient air temp where you're at?

What kind of air intake do you have, i.e., stock airbox/filter/lid, pod filters on the carbs?

Ok cheers. Will pull carbs apart and clean them up, hopefully that fixes my problem..elevation is 2000ft above sea level and avrg temp is 16°c(61°F). It still has the stock filter and box with lid on.

Heya guys. Been busy th last couple days. Finally got around to pulling carbs off and cleaning them. pilot jets were blocked, so much i cudnt see daylight thru them.. currently running a 260 main and 25 pilot.? with slide needle on middle clip.? Float heights were 21mm Have air screws currently at 1.5 turns out frm seated.? Does this sound right. 

Cheers..

Im from new zealand and there arent many shops over here that are familiar with banshees..

Starts a little bit easier than before thats for sure. But could be better..

Get 27.5 pilots.

260 mains good maybe a touch rich at your elevation with your airbox lid on.

Needle clip middle groove is good.

A larger pilot will add fuel to the idle circuit.

Also you want to fine tune with your airscrews. You want to be able to blip your throttle and it should be snappy off idle.

Airscrews in adds fuel.

Airscrews out removes fuel.

Also you want to make sure your carbs are sync’d at idle and part throttle. There are you tube vids for that.

Do you still have the TORS system installed?

Do you have a Clymers service manual?

After you’re all good, you might want to experiment and move the needle clips up 1 groove to lean it out a touch through the midrange due to your elevation, but if it gets any colder, don’t.

A rich tune is a sluggish tune, lean is mean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk