Timing Plate +4

Airbox removed for 2 K&N air filters

K&T reeds

Welded Crank

Carbs opened up

Billet Water pump impeller and gear

Custom Water Cooler

Cool Heads

I guess the next thing on my list of to-do would be top end work? Can I get away with just pistons? Is much more cost effective. I see Vito has some "super stock" pistons available, would I have to change anything else or can I just drop them in? What all might I need? Heads? Domes? Cylinders ports? I want to get into top-end to add some power.

In addition, how many hours should a top-end rebuild take?

If it matters I mostly do open area/trail riding in montana, but hit the sand whenever I get the chance and usually take a vacation once or twice a year to some dunes.

17572064_394459504273640_1486444027_o_zp

So I have a banshee with some basic things done to it

Toomey t5s

Timing Plate +4

Airbox removed for 2 K&N air filters

K&T reeds

Welded Crank

Carbs opened up

Billet Water pump impeller and gear

Custom Water Cooler

Cool Heads

I guess the next thing on my list of to-do would be top end work? Can I get away with just pistons? Is much more cost effective. I see Vito has some "super stock" pistons available, would I have to change anything else or can I just drop them in? What all might I need? Heads? Domes? Cylinders ports? I want to get into top-end to add some power.

In addition, how many hours should a top-end rebuild take?

If it matters I mostly do open area/trail riding in montana, but hit the sand whenever I get the chance and usually take a vacation once or twice a year to some dunes.

17572064_394459504273640_1486444027_o_zp

Port work is the best bang for your buck at the point you are at. Not much to be gained in pistons. If you need pistons go with a piston you are comfortable with. I just use weisco pistons. Never had a failure due to product.

Top end rebuild done with the motor in the bike. I'd say 2-3hours. That's if you have everything you need when you start. Seems to never work out that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What exactly is port work? When I bought the bike a year back guy said it was "ported to the max" exact quote, not the most helpful information I know.

Trickedcarbine my budget is whatever is reasonable. A few hundred I can justify. For a few thousand I can buy a complete 4mill stokee bike that is already built. I don't think this bike will ever be a super drag bike, I can buy another for that later.

Well, you're kind of at a cross roads. I always try to get guys to avoid just porting a top end and tossing it back on. Sure for a few hundred bucks you can have them ported and buy some domes to go with them. But what about the rest of the motor? Who knows how long it'll live. Was the stock crank welded? If not, it needs to come apart to have that done as well. Then you might as well buy all new hardware like clips and retainers etc for the rest of the bottom end. Now you're spending tons of money to do it right. With that said, it just makes sense to pony up and build your self a nice 4 mil motor if you can afford to.

• Like 1

The crank has been welded. I am assuming he was not lying about the list of modifications he had done. A month after the purchase I asked him to email me a list of modifications for my records. Nice knowing what is done and what can be done.

Anyway, my original question hasnt really been answered. Can I go with just pistons without touching the cylinders? If I do will I need heads or domes?

The crank has been welded. I am assuming he was not lying about the list of modifications he had done. A month after the purchase I asked him to email me a list of modifications for my records. Nice knowing what is done and what can be done.

Anyway, my original question hasnt really been answered. Can I go with just pistons without touching the cylinders? If I do will I need heads or domes?

If you go the Super Stock Pistons, I'd reccomend at least having a machinist give the cylinders a once over to size them to the Pistons. If you're just buying the same size that's in the motor now, I'd at least have a machinist check clearances. Domes would be highly reccomended. In all honesty though, if it is ported, Superstock pistons are not what you want.

I was assuming I could get the stock size pistons or "super stock" and not have to touch the cylinders. Once again, the heads say "Cool Heads" on top but I have no idea outside of that as it came with the bike. As for the porting, his description of "ported to the max" leaves me with more questions than answers, what would I look for on the cylinders to confirm? Holes in it somewhere? On the back, front, side?

What domes would you recommend with these pistons? Or is there another set of pistons/domes you might suggest?

You would have to have the motor partially apart to really know what's up with porting. Look in the intake, the exhaust port. The real work is in getting the transfer ports opened up. A good port job will have them opened up even if the durations aren't just for drag racing.

When you port a motor the windows of the ports entering the cylinder are often moved and that's what the Super stock Pistons mimic by having different parts of the piston crown relieved where that part of the piston moves past the port window. So if indeed your motor is ported properly, the Superstock pistons would not be wise.

I sent the guy I bought it from an email, see what he meant by ported. What pistons would you recommend if it is ported?

Depending on your time line, since the bike is new to you and not much detail from the seller of type of porting performed, you might be leaps ahead to at least split the case and do an inspection, since you have the top end off. Never know what you may find, plus you can insure your crank is welded. Reassemble if all looks good. Your only out a set of gaskets. I'm currently doing a rebuild and glad I took some extra steps to insure reliability.

Like others have said at min have a machinist check your cylinders. I put a Wiseco piston set in my build. Prob not the best piston out there but reliable.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk