Shifting problem

Having some issues with my 97 banshee.

Banshee shifts when moving, but when at a stop will not shift above second. In addition when I am riding sometimes it misses shifts or will shift to neutral from any gear. 

From what I have read I think its the clutch? I had a pull the transmission out and put a new one in so it can't be that. What is causing my issues?

Check your essentric scew / adjustment.

The shifter ideally needs to be centered, SOME people adjust it downwards so it up shifts a little better.

Grinding down the shift star OR purchasing a moded one (Jeff from FAST sells them) will also help lower your chances at hitting neutral and make shifting easier.

Is there an email or website for Jeff from FAST????

Edited by grantevans713

Grant, you are right, the clutch is certainly something that should be inspected and usually over looked for shifting problems.  If the clutch basket is grooved up, this will cause the friction plates to want to stay partially engaged when you pull the clutch and it never fully unloads the transmission.  

You might do some testing and if your bike has a tendency to creep forward when in gear, this is a strong indicator of clutch basket issues.  

Brandon

Mull Engineering

Grant, you are right, the clutch is certainly something that should be inspected and usually over looked for shifting problems.  If the clutch basket is grooved up, this will cause the friction plates to want to stay partially engaged when you pull the clutch and it never fully unloads the transmission.  

You might do some testing and if your bike has a tendency to creep forward when in gear, this is a strong indicator of clutch basket issues.  

Brandon

Mull Engineering

so replace the basket?

• 1 month later...

So to follow up on this so you all know.

Put the modified shift star in from Jeff at FarmAndSandToys

Put in Vitos performance clutch kit.

Put in a new clutch basket.

The bike no longer shifts to neutral randomly and grabs all the gears. However I do not feel anything when up shifting, I pull up and it goes, but I feel no resistance or click with my foot. I feel the slight resistance before I shift down, but up-shifting it just glides in. Should I get used to it? Is it normal? Is there anything wrong?

All right that is the answer I was looking for, so you recommend a stock spring? What ewxactly is the part name that im ordering?

0c635adf6782ffbe4ed4aa708453b4d7.jpg

That spring, pretty sure you can get them from FAST. It's called Detent Arm Spring. Pull the shift head and make sure the claw isn't toast as well. Jeff And Cody can get you a new Shift shaft modded and sent quick as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk