Try the Dark side?

TKJ421

Opinions from someone who has or have both. Recently I've been thinking about trading my 03 4mill ported cub (etc) for a 2014+ yfz450r. I know it would make less power but it's also less maintenance and would be a chance to try something new. I hear there really good on trails and tracks. Although I do love a nice hill. I may keep the shee and take her to a 10mill dm and just buy a new yfz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would it be less maint?

I've never had one so I couldn't tell you from experience, I know I've heard a million times over that it's less maintenance more so speaking of built banshee's. I take mine down every year for a fresh top end. Not to mention all the time it takes to tune both carbs.

I have both, love my YFZR.  No it doesnt have the power of the banshee but its a better all around bike.  I change the oil and filter after each trip, keep the airfilter clean and check valves every 20 hours.  Pretty simple maintenance imo.  If i were forced to keep only 1 bike it would be the R

• Like 1

I have both, love my YFZR. No it doesnt have the power of the banshee but its a better all around bike. I change the oil and filter after each trip, keep the airfilter clean and check valves every 20 hours. Pretty simple maintenance imo. If i were forced to keep only 1 bike it would be the R

what's the easiest way to check the valves? I'm still a 4stroke dummy

I went from the 10mil serval to a rappy 700. Reverse is super nice to have.

No kidding! I've got my 421 apart right now. Would love to slowly piece together a 10mil cub or dm. But I also kind of just want something I can sit on, hit a button and just ride anywhere.

No kidding! I've got my 421 apart right now. Would love to slowly piece together a 10mil cub or dm. But I also kind of just want something I can sit on, hit a button and just ride anywhere.

that's how the serval was. It was a blast

• Like 1

what's the easiest way to check the valves? I'm still a 4stroke dummy

Ive never touched a raptor so not sure on your machine but on the yfz, you have to pull the front plastic and gas tank off. (the dzuz fasteners are a must upgrade as you can get plastics off in about a minute with them) then its pretty simple. Pull of the valve cover and remove a cover on teh side of the motor to line up the timing marks.  You can verify tdc with the marks on the cams lining up with the head as long as cam timing hasnt been messed with.  Then just use a feeler gauge.  Bent ones help a lot.  If its out of spec its a bit more work, you have to back off the chain tensioner, remove the cams and then change out the shims under the buckets.  My bike has 80ish hours on it and i havent had to change them as they have been within spec each time.

• Like 1