421 Driveline (LP) w/ SLPs

Ayesully810

That would make things very interesting on larger motors like a 10cub..... would be awesome to shift your power curve for ovals and then a simple pipe swap and have the bike practically ready for tight tracks

I'd imagine there is a plateau when it comes to the larger CC motors.

It's one thing to make power earlier and have it flatten out and broaden the power curve.

It's another thing to make 85whp by 8k rpm and then feel like you just dropped anchor and the motor falls flat on it's face.

To me that's straight castrating a banshee motor!

But, we will all see soon enough.

I've ridden a dune ported stk cyl with toomey t3's and I never found the top of 6th gear because of his horrible suspension.

Swapped in the SLP's and had to fatten jetting to try and recoup some top end, but ran out of jets.

I was quickly looking for 7th gear.

So I chopped the main and it looked good enough for the owner, so we ran it.

I hope the SLP's surprise me, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Gearing, change the gearing. If an engine makes the same peak power but a lot sooner, it will have greater torque. Put taller gearing on there so make the torque curve feel bigger. Think about a diesel.

Exactly!!

Nice analogy!!

My buddy has yet to get off his ass and run a 15T up front.

He needs trans work before then though.

He has a hard time getting into 1st.

And he'll need first in the dunes with paddles and a 15T.

I sure hope gearing is all that's needed.

Hopefully one if these guys can get that part of the equation done since they both have 421 DL motors w/SLP's...

Gearing, change the gearing. If an engine makes the same peak power but a lot sooner, it will have greater torque. Put taller gearing on there so make the torque curve feel bigger. Think about a diesel.

That made it pretty easy for my simple brain to understand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's one thing to make power earlier and have it flatten out and broaden the power curve.

It's another thing to make 85whp by 8k rpm and then feel like you just dropped anchor and the motor falls flat on it's face.

To me that's straight castrating a banshee motor!

But, we will all see soon enough.

I've ridden a dune ported stk cyl with toomey t3's and I never found the top of 6th gear because of his horrible suspension.

Swapped in the SLP's and had to fatten jetting to try and recoup some top end, but ran out of jets.

I was quickly looking for 7th gear.

So I chopped the main and it looked good enough for the owner, so we ran it.

I hope the SLP's surprise me, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

To me that just sounds like the wrong choice of pipe for that application. Yes they sign off earlier, but In trails they really shine where the typical bigger inframes struggle to even get in the power. If you are riding dunes or back roads, different pipes are the solution. Not just gearing IMO.
  • Like 1

To me that just sounds like the wrong choice of pipe for that application. Yes they sign off earlier, but In trails they really shine where the typical bigger inframes struggle to even get in the power. If you are riding dunes or back roads, different pipes are the solution. Not just gearing IMO.

Tricked, what about shorter dunes? Me and Jd  ride the same dunes here in MI and he swears by them for here, Ive only ridden shearers here. The dunes are much shorter here in MI than what I think most guys on here ride.  I could be wrong 

I look at it like this, if you find your self riding 4th-6th the whole ride, you may want a set up aimed at more wide open performance. If you are getting in to tight stuff where you are down in the lower gears and working the clutch frequently the SLP's shine.

I flogged a set a couple seasons ago that I got from DFE and loved them on trails and twisty dirt roads. They did great on the 1/8th mile ice oval as well. But once I got them on a half mile oval... Gearing just wouldn't cut it and I suffered a bit of heat soak.

They are stellar pipes none the less. It can't hurt to try them. Better to have a pipe that gets the bike moving right away and maybe need a touch more top end then to let it fall on its face and run out of room by the time they go full steam.

• Like 1

I look at it like this, if you find your self riding 4th-6th the whole ride, you may want a set up aimed at more wide open performance. If you are getting in to tight stuff where you are down in the lower gears and working the clutch frequently the SLP's shine.

I flogged a set a couple seasons ago that I got from DFE and loved them on trails and twisty dirt roads. They did great on the 1/8th mile ice oval as well. But once I got them on a half mile oval... Gearing just wouldn't cut it and I suffered a bit of heat soak.

They are stellar pipes none the less. It can't hurt to try them. Better to have a pipe that gets the bike moving right away and maybe need a touch more top end then to let it fall on its face and run out of room by the time they go full steam.

Thats a good view point. I read before on a post ( think it was Jds FAST serval thread) that you gotta really fit the pipe to the rider and thats starting to make more and more sense to me now. I loved my shearers but it always seemed in my riding terrain I was in I was always wishing for the power to come on sooner.

Thats a good view point. I read before on a post ( think it was Jds FAST serval thread) that you gotta really fit the pipe to the rider and thats starting to make more and more sense to me now. I loved my shearers but it always seemed in my riding terrain I was in I was always wishing for the power to come on sooner.

Down shift or repeatedly fan the clutch and get that bitch back on the pipe!