Prismatic samples

slag_350300

Does anyone have anything done in trans black? I went on prismatics site and am picking out color for my swingarm I am having built at the moment. I'm looking for a transparent black. If anyone has anything done up please post pics and color label. Thanks

What do you mean? I'm not to in tune with the powder coating expirence. Have had very little work done. Are u saying the different process doesn't turn out? From what I understand it's a clear coat with a slight tint

in other words, if the person doing the powder is good at what they are doing and know exactly what you want your probobly going to get something close to what you want. otherwise its probobly not going to be what you expect.

in other words, if the person doing the powder is good at what they are doing and know exactly what you want your probobly going to get something close to what you want. otherwise its probobly not going to be what you expect.

Or if they have done that particular color before or are willing to do a few test panels first.

I see. Well I'm going with the words from my builder. And he says they do really good work. Before I committed on a color I just wanted to see ideas if anyone had anything similar tastes in what I'm after. I'm shooting for a raw look, with a dark tint to it. Transparent black. Or smoke. Whatever they label them.

The way my PC guy just explained it to me was like this..

A flat piece of material just takes a single pass to coat.

A round piece takes several passes to coat.

This affects the color.

We did my brother's chassis and it came out a lot darker than we wanted due to the amount of passes to coat round tube.

So, we ended up picking out another color, that was considerably lighter, to help compensate for this.

Also, I would not trust too many of the customer's color samples on the Prismatic website.

Some of those look fucky to me. And lighting will also play a role in the color's true color.

The way my PC just explained it to me was like this..

A flat piece of material just takes a single pass to coat.

A round piece takes several passes to coat.

This affects the color.

We did my brother's chassis and it came out a lot darker than we wanted due to the amount of passes to coat round tube.

So, we ended up picking out another color, that was considerably lighter, to help compensate for this.

Also, I would not trust too many of the customer's color samples on the Prismatic website.

Some of those look fucky to me. And lighting will also play a role in the color's true color.

That makes a lot more sense. I never thought about the round vs flat/coat coverage would alter the color. I originally told the builder I wanted just a simple clear coat. Raw metal with a clear powder. I think it would look killer with my setup. Last night while I was laying down I thought man it would be cool to do transparent black to match my bicycle frame. Although the powder on my bike frame says transparent black, it's mostly black. One wouldn't notice it unless u were in the sunshine and really looking hard. This might change my mind once again on going that route. I want to make sure whatever I decide on, I won't regret it later down the road. Another color I thought would look good was a dark blood red transparent color. It being a lighter shade might help with the transparency.

Transparent powder over an un-blasted substrate is not a good idea.

Rust veins will eventually show through. I believe Tyler has some pics of that too.

Transparent (candy) colors are meant to go over a base color, which also change the final color.  

Your blood red is a excellent example of a color that when applied to tubing will be 4 - 8 coats instead of 1 - 2, so could end up being a solid deep red.

I've had clear over raw and wouldn't do that again. It starts to surface rust under the clear after a month or so.

Originally my brother's chassis was illusion purple with clear vision top coat, but it turned out too dark.

So we ended up going with illusion violet with silver sparkle top coat, which was much lighter and has an awesome metal flake look.

I will try to post some sunlight pics tomorrow but colors never show up right.

My chassis is lollipop berry over heavy silver and it just doesn't have the metal flake I'd like.

I am going to redo mine this winter.

a4e9e2cc8c1aefa1256e296148ee6840.jpg

c484053b650d00d1c131e3a402d24d90.jpg

db180637aae7c74f89d62ee1a9d8c94d.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. That rust theory is exactly what I needed to hear. I will not be going that route now. I live on sea level right next to the ocean, so salt water and salt air are every day around here. I have a clear coat raw handlebars on my bicycle, and that's starting to rust underneath the layer. I just assumed it was a poor job done in China or Thailand.

Great information I'm glad I started this post. I'm going to have to rethink my color ideas.

Maybe a gun metal gray color would look good? I have an all black frame, with powdered a-arms (ford tuxedo black) and red and white plastic. Red accents here and there. I may just see if they have any of the ford black and go that route. Any ideas ?

e04ed184efa2833aa41a3af2a327b34e.jpg7f35e12d1415056ec2763523f9150958.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had clear over raw and wouldn't do that again. It starts to surface rust under the clear after a month or so.

Originally my brother's chassis was illusion purple with clear vision top coat, but it turned out too dark.

So we ended up going with illusion violet with silver sparkle top coat, which was much lighter and has an awesome metal flake look.

I will try to post some sunlight pics tomorrow but colors never show up right.

My chassis is lollipop berry over heavy silver and it just doesn't have the metal flake I'd like.

I am going to redo mine this winter.

a4e9e2cc8c1aefa1256e296148ee6840.jpg

c484053b650d00d1c131e3a402d24d90.jpg

db180637aae7c74f89d62ee1a9d8c94d.jpg

I like that frame color,, goes good with black. A buddy of mine has similar color frame maybe a little lighter. I wouldn't get it on my personal bike but I really think it looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk