Ultra Carbon CNC machinable Carbon Fiber Stock.

trickedcarbine

Maybe the drag racers will be in to this. I have finally located a manufacturer who can produce Carbon Fiber ingets at an affordable rate. Ultra Carbon specializes in some of the baddest and most well crafted carbon fiber products in racing. I am looking for guys willing to split up a bulk order of Carbon Fiber for a far better rate. The plan is to replace virtually any Billit aluminum part with an identical Carbon Fiber part. Rezzy covers, shock rezzy mounts, bar clamps, water pump covers, etc., all by this winter. Ultra Carbon has qouted me $8.00-$14.00 a cubic inch. The more volume the closer to the $8.00 price it will be. Before any one complains, companies like Dragon Plate and Rock West Composites are selling 1.25"x12"x24" slabs for thousands. Ultra Carbon can make any thickness stock needed to machine the custom parts you may have been dreaming about.

Anybody interested in getting in on this before I order?

Any updates on dis

Any updates on dis

Yes. I had a few small pieces at a buddy's shop and it appears we need some different tooling. There is a lot of conflicting info on what works and doesn't. So far I've seen one piece cut OK at best, and two more are scrap as the cutters exploded. The feed rate is far different then metal and it appears that the head is constantly snagging. Similar to that last nano second of when you are punching through steel and it pops and wants to bind up for a short burst. Carbon kind of cuts like that the whole time. Claude offered to do some testing once he's back to work, but I get the feeling I'll be a couple thousand in tooling for whoever decides they wanna do it.

Yes. I had a few small pieces at a buddy's shop and it appears we need some different tooling. There is a lot of conflicting info on what works and doesn't. So far I've seen one piece cut OK at best, and two more are scrap as the cutters exploded. The feed rate is far different then metal and it appears that the head is constantly snagging. Similar to that last nano second of when you are punching through steel and it pops and wants to bind up for a short burst. Carbon kind of cuts like that the whole time. Claude offered to do some testing once he's back to work, but I get the feeling I'll be a couple thousand in tooling for whoever decides they wanna do it.

Machining anything takes experience and knowledge for material, work holding, SFDC, and tooling etc fo sho. Other than CF tube/plate I wouldn't have any need for CF if any

Has anyone weighed same sheet thickness of CF, aluminum, acetal to compare?

Cubic inch of carbon fiber is roughly .62-.70 lbs.

Cubic inch of Billit aluminum is typically around .94-.98

This appears to back up any research I've done.

http://pelotonmagazine.com/wisdom/materials-and-construction-part-iii/