Ice setup and gearing

mhoksch

I finally got my suspension setup so I can hook up on our short track that I usually race at, now I'm trying to figure out gearing.

I'm currently running 16/39

Our normal track is about 1/4 mile, I'm using 4-5 gears. It feels decent but I haven't tried much else.

Did 2 races on a 1/3 mile track this year. 5-6 gear. Barely got into 6 before letting off for corners.

This Saturday I'm going to a 1/2 mile track. I ordered a 17t front. Will this be enough or am I going to want more gear on the straights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I set the bike so that it is still just barely in the over rev at the end of the straight away of a 1/2 mile oval in 6th gear. 15/39-38 is pretty great for a 80ish HP build on 20" rear tires. Been trying some stuff with 18" tires and the 16/39 is pretty nice. It seems to just run out of gear right before I chop the throttle to pitch it in to the turn.

How much motor and what size tires? Each variable makes a difference.

Edited by trickedcarbine

A couple seasons ago I tried the whole low gearing to get it to freight train out of the turn and be wound out early on the straight, similar to the drag guys who let the motor hang it's lungs out well before the traps. It runs good that way on the Short tracks if you can get the thing hooked up, but depending on motor set up, I just don't like the way it feels on the bigger tracks. It's kinda hard on a motor.

Just get it so the bike is just barely done accelerating before you reel it in for the turn and you should be good.

10mil cub @95hp (jetted pretty rich). 18" rears. I think the 16/39 is almost perfect for 1/3 mile. Just worried about not having enough top end on the 1/2.

Right now I crush most of the 450's on the holeshot

I think I'm at 27-165 (rich) @16degrees.

35pwks

Went to a radar run last year with 16/39 on 18's and ran 96 mph. Definitely have the power to turn a 17 front, just wanted to see if anyone had experience with it

Ya, maybe I did tell you the wrong number for the pilots.

You ever run any races in real warm temps? Last weekend it was 38 and raining. I killed them off the line but dropped from 1st to last coming out of turn 2.

Not sure how the other guys did it but I couldn't get ANY traction thru the 3" of slush on the track

Ya. Got pods with nylon covers on them. I checked the pods after each race and the weren't wet at all.

I have kutter xc 2's up front which clean out really well.

Rears are uncut Cheng shin. Hoping to build another set next year and cut them.

I looked slow as hell in that slush. Hoping to make it to the 1/2 mile at that series on sat to redeem myself. No one there knows me so I should be able to surprise them

Question for you ice race guys. If you were to build the ultimate ice race engine what cc size would you go for and would it be a high or low port timing engine?

At this point 10mil super serval. Would still like to play with the Cheetah but it's a few more bucks.

At this point 10mil super serval. Would still like to play with the Cheetah but it's a few more bucks.

I'm actually looking at trying to move to a super serval next season.

My cub comes into the pipe too hard for a lot of our short gp courses.

Got to be carefull with the size of motor... the tighter TT tracks could handle a larger motor but on ovals these motors start to not like being held WOT too long....

I know one person here has a 512 4mil twister that runs good.. not sure if he still has it or not but yea...

going larger will also just increase your problems with traction.... traction under hp isnt a huge issue in a oval but in tight TT races when your on and off the pipe its going to get challenging.

If it's built right, it should be up to your wrist whether it hooks up or not.