New sponsor JTmachining

JTmachining

No friggin Way an aluminum drum doesn't end up in catastrophe.

is that so. if I didn't know any better I would swear these are aluminum. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-Shift-Drum-Forks-01-520SX-/150781738094http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-Shift-Drum-250-300-360-380-XC-EXC-SX-MXC-SXS-transmission-shifting-300MXC-/301864637777?hash=item464888d551:g:RjUAAOSwu4BV7Gz7&vxp=mtr

most wouldn't notice but the fork nipple has a sleeve so it can roll through the chanell. substantially eliminating most all the wear on the chanell sides I would imagine. banging gears all day on a mx track couldn't be any easier on a drum than what any of us do.

my opinion of the stock drum is simple. it looks like a low grade cast steel of some sort from what I could tell. probly doesn't even weld worth a crap

unfortunately far to many people immediately disregard a idea before theyve investigated the matter

claude the 7075 material for a drum is peanuts. if you have the time and machines then you have nothing to lose

is that so. if I didn't know any better I would swear these are aluminum. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-Shift-Drum-Forks-01-520SX-/150781738094http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-Shift-Drum-250-300-360-380-XC-EXC-SX-MXC-SXS-transmission-shifting-300MXC-/301864637777?hash=item464888d551:g:RjUAAOSwu4BV7Gz7&vxp=mtr

most wouldn't notice but the fork nipple has a sleeve so it can roll through the chanell. substantially eliminating most all the wear on the chanell sides I would imagine. banging gears all day on a mx track couldn't be any easier on a drum than what any of us do.

my opinion of the stock drum is simple. it looks like a low grade cast steel of some sort from what I could tell. probly doesn't even weld worth a crap

unfortunately far to many people immediately disregard a idea before theyve investigated the matter

claude the 7075 material for a drum is peanuts. if you have the time and machines then you have nothing to lose

Interesting.... You don't think tripling the power would have any affect? Also, is anybody hard anodizing them? Edited by trickedcarbine

All this talk about machining aluminum parts to have lighter options, but do any of you know how much the OEM shift drum weighs? Its cast heat treated and hollow. Very strong and light. There's also other things that can be done to the trans to improve things besides machining

• Like 3

All this talk about machining aluminum parts to have lighter options, but do any of you know how much the OEM shift drum weighs? Its cast heat treated and hollow. Very strong and light. There's also other things that can be done to the trans to improve things besides machining

Someone gets it!

I must confess I thought the stock drum felt alittle heavy that's why I brought it up. maybe a aluminum drum would or wouldn't work out but its been done before so it probly isn't the worlds worst idea. like anything I guess a lot would depend on how much thought went into the design

Maybe spend some time with the OEM drum rather than reinvent the wheel? There's places to loose weight inside the cases. Just sayin.

Maybe spend some time with the OEM drum rather than reinvent the wheel? There's places to loose weight inside the cases. Just sayin.

heres what im saying. why use a big ass fuel cap like a lot of people when you can use a small 1"-1-1/2" and machine out the center. why lug around 2gal fuel when you can cut it in half with 1gal. how dare we reinvent the wheel

Weight and friction are things to pay attention to. There are so many details that go into a fast drag bike. I'm an all or nothing attitude...starting with simple nuts and bolts...if you want light weight and don't have all TI and aluminum hardware you are half stepping things

• Like 1

• 2 months later...