replacement turbo for 7.3

coryv4

turbo took a shit in my 99 7.3. motor is mostly stock. has a bullydog( i think) programmer, and stock injectors bored or whatever. nothing special.

im trying to figure out if i should buy a stock turbo or if there are any direct bolt ons that would be just as good or better.

Early or late 99? But gtp38r is a known swap

i was thinking this one. ive heard some say quicker spool up and lower egts. is it something im going to notice?

You've got quite a few options really. Just depends on what you want to spend and what you do with the truck.

like nick said im looking at the 38r but if im not going to notice a quicker spool or something i will go with stock. truck is a plow truck and a slightly less than daily driver.

i was thinking this one. ive heard some say quicker spool up and lower egts. is it something im going to notice?

like nick said im looking at the 38r but if im not going to notice a quicker spool or something i will go with stock. truck is a plow truck and a slightly less than daily driver.

It will spool slightly slower depending on tuning.

We have a 38R on one of our 7.3's.

Definitely happy with it. Definitely lower egts

was the 7.3 stock or close to it?

No.

Banks intercooler, Banks 4" ss exhaust and muffler, Banks Power Elbow, Banks Six Gun tuner plus DP 6 position tuner with custom tunes, cold air intake and the 38R turbo.

Stock injectors and HPOP.

We originally started with a stock turbo with the Banks exhaust housing and Banks compressor wheel. With this setup we would experience "turbo surge" while towing heavy at about 2,000 - 2,100 rpm.

We then added the ATS compressor housing which helped to eliminate the surge, but it made the turbo scream like a jet engine. Cool to hear at first, a little hard on the ears on a long trip, especially towing.

This hybrid turbo setup was more responsive and snappy down low, but didn't perform as well on the overall, especially towing and egt's wise as does the 38R.

The 38R has a pretty strong whistle to it as well, not quite as piercing though.

i got the stock turbo off the truck, i didnt order anything yet.

i just disassemble it following a youtube video which is easy as hell if you have taken apart a motor lol.

i think im just going to rebuild it and put a billet compressor in it.

is there a different exh turbine i can buy or is there only one profile for it?

what billet wheel should i get, i want to run around stock boost and just looking for a little quicker spool