2-1 carb setup

2005she

ok so i tried the 2-1 trinity intake and a pj 38mm old cr500 carb. had a DEK needle lying around and also made up 2 other needles that were richer overall to try out.  ended up at a 48/ 195 main on a set of super mild stockers, ( brindge clean up, exhaust port match on top, transfers rounded)   it got great mileage.  was fun to ride  and seemed to pull nice on top.   i like it so far.  i'm going to keep playing with it and after i get the majorly ported cylinders back on will report back to this thread.  this is not my only bike  its my rider arounder bike.  i'm not looking for full on drag racing power  i want mileage, midrange, and decent roll on power with good throttle pull.  so far its working great.  

ok so i tried the 2-1 trinity intake and a pj 38mm old cr500 carb. had a DEK needle lying around and also made up 2 other needles that were richer overall to try out. ended up at a 48/ 195 main on a set of super mild stockers, ( brindge clean up, exhaust port match on top, transfers rounded) it got great mileage. was fun to ride and seemed to pull nice on top. i like it so far. i'm going to keep playing with it and after i get the majorly ported cylinders back on will report back to this thread. this is not my only bike its my rider arounder bike. i'm not looking for full on drag racing power i want mileage, midrange, and decent roll on power with good throttle pull. so far its working great.

This in the hybrid?

• 2 weeks later...

Cam, by looking at a Trinity manifold compared to a Graydon or 440 snow machine manifold, do you think the shorter Trinity manifold has any affect on performance compared to the graydon/440 manifold which is deeper?

It sure seems like the latter manifolds allow the air to make a much smoother turn into the reeds.

I've set up a few trinity's, a chariot with a 35 PWK then 39 PWK, and a few Exciter set ups. Hands down the exciter out performs the other two. However the chariot and trinity are packaged to go together with ease and fit really well. The exciter needs a little massaging, but is worth it if you must go 2/1.

As said before you'll never produce peak power like duals but they are fun as hell to ride around on

And that's exactly why I ran a 2-1 until I went EFI. I'm not drag racing and only having one carb to dick with, the free space under the seat, light throttle pull, and it was real nice and snappy in the low/mid range once I got the needle figured out. 

Now that I'm efi, I'll never go back to carbs period. I will say that I really miss the free space under the seat though. 2 throttle bodies, pods, and stingers = zero room. I'm half tempted to try to a single 40-44mm throttle body with port mounted injectors on a Y manifold of sorts to un-clutter it down there. But that sounds like alot of work....

when i swap out this motor soon for the fully ported midrange engine i'm working on i will try the intake again.  it gets way better mileage now also.  it seems the curve into the reeds is ok.  i had to fit a very short air filter to get it all in there.  its not ideal and the duals work better on the yfz as far as overall fit  in my past experience the graydon's length helped out a lot  but i have never attempted to use the exciter setup. and since its kinda longer probably never will.  i am thinking of either boring this carb to a 40 or getting a 40/44 lectron or something along those lines. 

when i swap out this motor soon for the fully ported midrange engine i'm working on i will try the intake again. it gets way better mileage now also. it seems the curve into the reeds is ok. i had to fit a very short air filter to get it all in there. its not ideal and the duals work better on the yfz as far as overall fit in my past experience the graydon's length helped out a lot but i have never attempted to use the exciter setup. and since its kinda longer probably never will. i am thinking of either boring this carb to a 40 or getting a 40/44 lectron or something along those lines.

What pipes are you running on your mid range motor?

• 2 weeks later...

i stretched them all the way out.   for more midrange.  motor still revv's ok but current setup is still pretty stock porting numbers.

rode the bike again and the more i ride it the more i like the single carb  bike gets really great mileage now.    i'm going to try and get my 40mm lectron on it soon.  hope the weather holds so i can run it more.