Yfz450r hybrid

id LOVE to do one. just waiting on a mx roller to blow sky hi that the owner dosent have a million bucks into.

I've got eye out over here for the same thing. LED is local and has pumped out a couple sets of pipes in the last few weeks for yfz conversions. Talking to the builders, those pipes alleviated a lot of the fab and fitment issues. Bottom part of the R cradle is still mild steel so I can't see too many more obstacles than doing a regular yfz.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This,

pretty sure the frames weigh close to each other.

I'm not posting this to start a debate or start any trouble. I had had this information and I thought I'd share it with you so you could reference it in the future when the topic is brought up.

• Red Frame - 2011 Stock YFZ-450R Frame w/ OEM Subframe = 31.6lbs

• Yellow Frame - 2003 Stock YFZ-350 Banshee Frame w/ OEM Subframe = 51.2lbs

IMG_5450_zpsgh9gzshh.jpg

IMG_5444_zpsrhfnlrvy.jpg

The hybrid frame that I designed should be done and ready to be dropped off inBowling Green Kentucky so it can be heat treated and powder coated sometime in the next two weeks. I'll post pictures up of it if anybody is interested.

I won't be able to start transplanting everything over from my existing stock frame with MTF Suspension because I need to gather up the money for the extended Stellar Arched Ladder Swingarm and a set of Walsh Racecraft YFZR A-Arms, and the YFZR Fox Float-3 Shocks/Dual Rate Fox Podium Rear Shock before it will be a roller that's ready to go. This new frame is going to be really nice.

imagejpg6_zpsa8bc6926.jpg

Caster was compensated for and corrected. My frame doesn't require a the casting bracket or special custom built pipes or parts. The only parts that are used on this chassis are stock or aftermarket Banshee or YFZR parts. The subframe required a little modding and so did the front bumper, other than that everything from the Banshee or YFZR bolts on without any modification.

• Like 1

I'll post up a few pictures of it when I pick it up to take it to the shop that's Heat treating it and powder coating it for me. I know everybody stoked to see it so it can picked apart and critiqued. The actual frame does differ from the my original print a little, but not much.

So do you need to run the caster bracket on this frame or di you correct that?

The new frame is gusseted for additional strength as well. We cut a custom 13pc gusset kit on a water jet table out of 1/8" thick chromoly. The radiator and steering stem support was reenforced as well.

It's looking like to total weight of the frame itself is going to come out a little heavier than I would have like to have seen (44lbs) but I was willing to compromise on the weight to add additional strength to the chassis to insure maximum reliability. A lot of guys tend to forget that I'm a recreational trail rider that rides for hours at time in the woods with a bunch of four stroke sport quads. I had a member the other day that was telling someone that additional crankcase oil capacity was bad thing because it would create additional drag on the transmission because the oil wouldn't get as hot and therefore thin the oils viscosity resulting in less drag. I'm on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, durability and reliability are a lot more important than minuscule amount additional drag that's created by additional oil running at cooler temperature inside the center cases.