St Anthony's Idaho questions

03shee775

The main section of the dunes, west of Egin Lakes, opens for riding on April 1. Early April the sand is sketchy. The south slopes may have some dry sand, but the north slopes can still have snow and ice. Sand sometimes covers the snow and ice. Dangerous. By late April conditions are better. The campground at Egin Lakes opens around late April. Best sand is from May through September.

I thought the store and Egin always opened April 1st.

Good to know on the sketch sand in April, especially bad on 2 wheels.  If ever there was going to be a late year this is probably it.

"Steep and deep" is how I describe them to people. Some of the bigger bowls can easily hold a large football stadium. I've never ridden at any other dunes, so I can't make a comparison. But I can tell you they're big and a blast to ride. From what I hear from guys who have ridden at other dunes they're some of the biggest in the country. The larger ones at the west end are almost 400 feet high according to the literature on the dunes.

I rode St A's a couple weekends last year.  Dunes are bigger than anything else, they will take all the horsepower you can throw at them.  I started feeling bad for my bikes holding them wide so long up the hills.   The storms were pretty crazy in both July and October.  They would roll through, rip up the campground then be calm again.   

The sand is not as clean as Oregon Coast but not near as dusty as Glamis.  Glamis has the best people watching, Oregon is the most scenic and St A's will give you the best roller coaster rides ever.

Everyone needs to experience St A's once.  Nothing quite like it.

• Like 2

I rode St A's a couple weekends last year. Dunes are bigger than anything else, they will take all the horsepower you can throw at them. I started feeling bad for my bikes holding them wide so long up the hills. The storms were pretty crazy in both July and October. They would roll through, rip up the campground then be calm again.

The sand is not as clean as Oregon Coast but not near as dusty as Glamis. Glamis has the best people watching, Oregon is the most scenic and St A's will give you the best roller coaster rides ever.

Everyone needs to experience St A's once. Nothing quite like it.

Great summary!

Big time roller coaster ride for sure!!

I LOVE that place

• Like 1

The Egin Lakes store and campground are operated separately. Store opens in early April, but sometimes only part time at first. Campground opens in mid-late April, depending on conditions and when the campground host arrives from down south.

There's also two private camps, Idaho Dunes RV and Sand Hills Resort, but I don't have much info on them. Sand Hills is a long way from the west end so you may need to pack additional fuel.

The Egin Lakes host and his wife are good people. They work hard to keep the place cleaned up. We do our part and try not to make their job harder. Have a chat when you see them and let them know you appreciate the work they do. And if it's meal time, invite them in for a plate.

The sand settles quickly to the ground, so just keep a short distance between you and the rider in front and you'll have clean air.

Summer storms roll in fast and furious, then usually depart quickly. We love a storm with some good wind, especially mid-week. Then we go out the next day and ride on smooth sand with few if any other people.

Edited by Time Machine

Local booze buying is wierd. Be prepared, camp grounds had quiet time, again wierd.

I think kan is nearby for parts or repair.

Beer and wine available at all grocery and gas station C-stores. Rexburg and St. Anthony each have a state liquor store for hard stuff. Their selections are limited so if there's something special you can't live without bring it with you.

KAN has moved from Utah and is now located just down the road from Egin Lakes.