Making My Own Plastic UHMW skid plate

muggzy

I am impressed.

And I am not impressed very often.

Thanks!

I have a great idea , make a belly skid for me and with the cash you get be like getting all your stuff free ??? Lol

ROFL Yo Abe, You made me laugh hard enough that I'm certainly thinking about it. PM me tomorrow night and I'll let you know.

I was hoping the screws show up before I went out riding Saturday, but they didn't show up until I was out riding Saturday.  So after washing everything down and standing her up on her ass again, I got back on the A-arm part of this project  :dance:   The holes were drilled and counter bored same as before and then the bending began.  I SHOULD HAVE made a jig with a piano hinge on it similar to a simple bending brake, but that would've been too easy.   If you attempt this yourself, I strongly recommend you take my advice here and make a jig for yourself.  You'll get a better, more aggressive bend WAY easier than the one I got.  Still, I think the one I did here will do the job;

To get enough heat, uniformly over the entire bend area, I had to use a couple of boards to cover the unused part of the strip heater and use a heat gun on the top side.  You can see the color change you're looking for nicely in this pic...

20150814_232412_zps1uhgpmnn.jpg

Once the color change is achieved, you've got to work quickly to form and hold the plastic in the position you want until it completely cools to room temp.  I clamped a scrap piece of metal on the inside of the bend and a piece of 1 1/2" angle to get it into shape.  Like I said, a jig would have been soooo much better.  Will definitely make one if I build another set.

20150814_223210_zpsgk5soijf.jpg

Here's the pair of them after bending;

20150815_090501_zpsjopyuxxo.jpg

On the bike. It was hard to get a decent pic showing the curve b/c the angle is all wrong but I'll have to wait 'til next weekend before I can beat on them a little.

20150815_163520_zpshfbi5hbt.jpg

20150815_220842_zpsqupgyhgq.jpg

20150815_220857_zpss2sakfjz.jpg

20150815_220912_zpse7sofdn9.jpg

So overall performance? How do you like them?

They're great sliding over stuff. The ride Saturday wasn't the rockyest but definitely harsher than the test ride I gave it earlier. Smacked quite a few rocks and logs. Logs were barely noticeable, just glided right over them. The rocks, while you could feel the hits to the swing arm glides, there was no "lurch". However, those glides got pretty beat on. You can zoom in on the bottom right of the full bottom pic and you'll see what I mean. Gonna try some virgin UHMW on there (already ordered) instead of the sheet of reclaimed that this sheet turned out to be. May try some other grades as well but over all, very pleased. The swing arm glides are an extreme worst case application because they get mashed so hard. Definitely happy with the rest so far.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk