Suv tow vehicle for $10k budget

kott0n

Hey guys

It's time to get rid of the 2005 f150. It's been a good truck but I need more out of a truck these days. I just pulled 3k lbs and this pig was in 2nd gear doing 45mph revving to the moon on hills. Gutless and only got about 12 mpg. I plan on towing up to around 8k lbs or so. Basically a travel trailer and bikes or a boat.

I want a diesel and a SUV for the people/gear hauling and mileage. I'm not brand loyal or anything but the Excursions seem ideal. Solid axle, similar frame to superduty trucks, tons of aftermarket for steering/suspension. 

Problem is any diesel with under 150k is still $15k ish. I got to thinking... someone has to of swapped a Cummins 6bt into one. They have. Plenty of detailed builds.

Plan is to buy a V10 Excursion or a diesel if the price is right (I see V10's for $3k with higher miles), drive it until it dies while fixing suspension/steering/tires etc. When it dies, swap in the 6bt. I can get wrecked rollover Dodge diesels at auction here for sub $3k. Some of them are even 03+ common rails. 

I started this wanting to swap a 6BT in a Crew Cab 80's Chevy, then went to a newer Suburban but I'd hate to put a 1000 lb 6bt over top of IFS so I'd have to solid axle swap it.

Just thought I'd share my plans. If anyone has any ideas or insight.

Edited by kott0n

I'm going to change the spark plugs this weekend. I hope they don't bust off in the head though, only reason I've held off.

Yeah the V10 will be even worse on gas! It would be more to have the truck ready to go for the swap and enjoying it in the mean time.

Yeah I would love to get a 7.3, that would be ideal, its just everyone else wants one also! The price is staying up there. It seems the V10 and Diesels are the best swap candidate however.

Either route will eventually get the swap, its too strong not to.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Durango/Expeditions you can only swap the 4bt as the 6bt is too long without heavy firewall/trans tunnel modification.

Up your budget would be my advice. You're going to be well over your 10k budget after doing all the mods/engine swaps anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

With a higher budget I could likely just get a 7.3 Excursion, certainly a good point.

The swap is very feasible though. Doing it for: $3-5k for donor, $3k all day for 6bt complete driveline (t case, trans and engine) and the rest for misc. After watching auctions for only a week I'm confident I can even jump up from a 12v to a common rail for the same price. Either engine, 12v or 24v doesn't matter as both will do. If you keep the driveline all Dodge/Cummins you don't need any trans/tcase adapters, only motor mounts. Not to mention being able to part out the wrecked Dodge truck. Not that I'm interested in nickel and diming parts off it for god knows how long. I'd probably be able to dump the interior and some non damaged body panels and make back at least $500-1000 before scrapping it. As far as mods after the swap. Real mild. Looking for 300hp/450 tq. My understanding thats super mild. 

I can't think of anything comparable I could build or buy for 10k. As I stated I originally looking at 80's trucks and SUV's but the wifey wouldnt go for selling the 2005 F150 for that old of a truck, haha. She will be DD'ing this 10 miles a day so she gets a little say, just a little. The Excursion seems to fit in the all around category. It's a little portly to be offroading but still capable. Throw some air bags, F350 sway bar and rear springs, it would tow a house down the road just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so you can get a truck and all your donee parts for 10K, what about all the little nickel and dime items. Mounts, custom oil pans, cross members, hardware, fuel system upgrades, lines, etc? Those details will make or break a build's quality, reliability, and looks if you cheap out so add another 3k or you're just not thinking realistically. Have you done an engine swap in the past? And also, what is your time worth. Will you be able to afford not having that truck when it finally goes under the knife?

• 3 weeks later...

If you have 10k to spend, buy a $5,000 Excursion V10 and only drive it when you're pulling. Spend the other 5k on a Honda for your wife to drive daily, or a bicycle if she only drives 10 miles a day.

It's none of my business, and I don't want to make you mad or discourage you. But if you've only budgeted 10k to spend, you really shouldn't start. Because it'll either be a shit job, or it won't get finished. Just my 2 cents, good luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...