Straight Cut Gear Performance?

WALZ

I've got one weekend on a full build (do it right here is my checkbook) from Redline:

-Ported serval, race gas set up

-New max load/TZ bearings

-New Straight cut gears

-New billet basket & lock up clutch

-Everything else replaced in engine that Cam wanted to do.

I'm new to this high of HP Banshees but have 20 years motocross experience.

Question:  Raced a few people on a hill in the dunes and damned if I can get a consistent smooth shift to 3rd gear.  Thing has been a blast, is super smooth sounding and shifting for non-abusive riding but when I drop the clutch in second and go to bang 3rd & 4th (mostly 3rd) I sometimes have to take a couple stabs at it which sucks when racing.  Do I need to change the way I shift somehow?  I changed the oil mid-weekend and use high quality synthetics, see through cover and I would never let the oil look broke down or milky.

Appreciate your time.

Edited by WALZ

Usually if it shifts correct part if time and not well other times it is rider related. We know all parts are new and has a pro mod so mechanical it should be good. So I would say if you launch in 2 nd and go to shift to third it's a fairly quick shift so you may not be letting shifter drop down to catch the star for next up shift.

Or possibly it's a little low geared and it's spinning tires way to hard. Try dropping air pressure way down or changing gear ratio.

Or call me and we can go over other scenarios that could be going on.

• Like 2

You guys rock!!  Thanks so much Cam, I know your time is valuable and did not want to bug you.  I'll bet my boot hangs underneath in anticipation of the next shift during race circumstances.  It spins the 22" paddle extremes hard so gearing up could help too.  I'll work on both and look forward to Winchester August 8th to run it again.  Never knew 4 wheels could be so fun!! grew up in the dunes since the 80's and this quad is a whole new animal for me.

Post a picture of the motor/shifter. I bet $20 the shifter is too low and not allowing the shifter to return back to normal position. This causes missed shifts.

I'll take your bet Loco and gladly pay $20 if I'm wrong :)

I've had this exact conversation with cam about a few customers of mine, on more then one occasion "my bike won't shift". They drive hours to get to me , I start bike and lay a beautiful pass down. I watch them drive and they can't ride and are not letting shift shaft return to ratchet the next gear

I've had this exact conversation with cam about a few customers of mine, on more then one occasion "my bike won't shift". They drive hours to get to me , I start bike and lay a beautiful pass down. I watch them drive and they can't ride and are not letting shift shaft return to ratchet the next gear

Yep. Usually the shifter is way too low and their foot keeps it from going back to position.

Tyler is 100% rite, on the shifter location. Mike no shifting issues on this motor and your other motor will have a diffrent tranny set up and will shift like butter

bdaccdfc5ad2c2aeec9f426003571f7b.jpg

This is where my shifter sits. I wouldn't mind it a bit higher either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1