DC conversion questions

I think i've searched and read everything i could read about DC conversion until now i'm confused about the whole deal.

I have the ground floated off the stator body (stock stator)

Ordered a trail tech rectifier

Since the ground is floated, will i be able to use the stock light switch, wiring and frame ground for the lights?

if you use the frame as a ground, you should also ground the battery to the frame.

As for the light switch, I would personally not suggest using it or the wiring. I would suggest rewiring it all.

I don't plan on using a battery if i can avoid it.

i have two LED lights that are supposed to be 18w each

You "could" ground the rectifier to the frame and then ground the lights but i ran ground wires, I have OCD when it comes to wiring.

You can use the stock light switch. just make a list of what colors do what. theres a few wiring diagrams on the interwebs that show what they do.

Also you will want to run a capacitor if you arent running a batter to help with flicker at idle and keep the voltage regulator happy. some regulators have mood swings with no load. I run one sold on ebay for choppers/bobbers. Sparx i think is the name.

You "could" ground the rectifier to the frame and then ground the lights but i ran ground wires, I have OCD when it comes to wiring.

You can use the stock light switch. just make a list of what colors do what. theres a few wiring diagrams on the interwebs that show what they do.

This. About the ground. A good ground never hurts. I have one on my motor and got the nology hot wires for the ground strap.

I like to keep it simple and try not hacking the stock stuff. I kept all my DC circuits separate. Ran an extra wire for the floated ground. Jumped into the light switch wiring at the connector, and ran seperate grounds for all the DC coming back to a small battery. I've heard of people having problems with grounding to the frame etc... In my case especially since I'm still running an AC circuit as well as DC.

you have to float the ground on the stator regardless of where you ground your lights. 

Remember that the Ignition is also using the frame/engine as a ground and it is a whole separate system from the lights. In theory it shouldnt make a shit if they share a ground but I have seen alot of wierd shit caused by bad/improper grounds.

Ive mentioned it on here several times but an evening or 2 reading up on basic electrical theory and the differences between AC and DC current WILL benefit you greatly on this. Understanding the why makes things so much easier when dealing with electricity.

• 4 years later...
On 6/22/2015 at 6:29 PM, Buckwheat said:

I grounded to the frame, used a battery, used the stock light switch but use the switch to control a relay. Running a 125 watt led light bar.

This is the 3rd post ive read where someone recommended a relay. Could you elaborate on the main reason as to why a relay is used? What kind of relay?

Mainly so you use switch wires as a signal, low draw, to tell relay to send main power from battery/ stator to lights. To save your switch. Any relay that will cover your light draw will work.

iirc some use another relay to kill the stator, light circuit,  all together, if youre not using it.

7 hours ago, 375hp banshees said:

iirc some use another relay to kill the stator, light circuit,  all together, if youre not using it.

In my dc conversion I went with a trail tech regulator/rectifier and according to their wiring diagram i need to connect the yellow from the reg/rec to the yellow comming from the stator. The yellow comming off the stator is the lighting circuit? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing a relay to eliminate the stator isn't applicaple in my situation?

One last thing has me very stumped, trail tech instructions say DO NOT connect the reg/rec to frame ground. They say connect it to 12v battery negative, and to do the same with ALL devices on the lighting circuit. I've read people going with the frame ground approach and honestly I'd prefer this method but is grounding to the battery only necessary for trail tech reg/rec?

See link for trail tech's diagram & instructions https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo?album_id=5818464202&photo_id=502715634244