Won't shift under load

Shifter position is the main culprit!!

I see guys with their shifters so low that it's always sitting on their foot. If the shifter doesn't drop all the way back down to middle position after the shift it's not going to another gear on the next try to shift.

Do you have a pic of your shifter/stator you can post?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am open to moveing the shifter on mine. I have this picture but not sure if you guys can tell its relation to the foot peg without a side picture. I will try to get a better one

Its somewhat even with the top of the peg, which after reading your guy's comment seems like that is incorrect. It could also be why sometimes it seems I can get it with a tennis shoe on, like just messing around in the yard, vs when I actually ride with my mx boots. I thought it was just my imagination on that though. Also is shifter position even more critical with the EZ-shift spring and modded star, I have both these on mine.

Also sorry for the somewhat Hi-Jack, though its at least about the same subject
Edited by CrazyBRONCOguy

Thanks for all the good replies. 

I will also adjust the screw and move my shifter up. I already moved it up one tooth from stock for my boots, but I can try two teeth.

My 4mm is still running stock carbs, so its deff not a race bike, but has more than enough power for everything I do, so I'm guessing a cut trans is not a necessity just yet, but is deff worth looking into. 

• 1 year later...

back up...I noticed yesterday that I am having issues at high rpm shifting gears.  I already have a Tyson pro cut mod transmission and a brand new shift drum in trans.  Engine is making 73hp on a 4mm build.  If I dont go as high in the RPMs then it will shift fine but once your at the higher RPMs it will not allow me to shift up another gear.  Any idea what this could be?

-Shift shaft isn't womped out on the claw end?

-Is the shift shaft wobbling around in the case? Does it need a bushing in the cases

-Eccentric bolt is adjusted properly?

-Are the shift forks bent or worn?

shift shaft fine, no wobbling, forks in great shape.  Only happens at high RPMs...I wonder if I am over revving it.  I have never had any sort of recreational engine that wont shift due to over revving it.