Suspension setup for ice?

mhoksch

Got my motor all dialed in, now suspension needs some serious work.

I only race oval.  Roughly 1/3 mile track

Current setup is

-Front Stg 1 Elkas

-LSR +3+1 arms

-Swaybar

Rear

-Rebuilt stock shock (PEP spring and internals. Can post specs if it helps)

- -1 swingarm

When on the scales do I want all 4 corners equal?  More on front or rear? More on 1 side?

I currently have about 1/2" toe in on the front, keep or change?

What about camber?  they're tilted in pretty far at the top right now.

Don't lower the bike so much that it has limited travel. Keeping it up a little helps with weight transfer. Also it helps to have the front just a touch higher.

On scales, get the whole bike neutral on the suspension. Even left to right. Don't worry so much about front to back till after. Once the bike is as close to balanced as possible. Use the sway bar to pre load the front right corner in 10 lb increments. Typically I like the 20-50 range. Depends how sloppy the ice is.

Toe in, get creative. You're oval tracking. Set it up so the bike has a slight pull to the left. You can also use air pressure to control that. Make it abrupt as you can comfortably ride. It makes the bike dive and stay pointed and not shove when coming out of the turn.

Camber, depends on tires. You are on ice and using a sway bar. The bike really shouldn't be rolling enough to NEED lots of camber. Just a touch out side should do. Try to set it so that your full stud pattern makes contact. It helps to go pro the front tires while you practice turns. That way you can see what the tire does. But if a bike only contacts half it's studs, there is room to improve.