Paint Stripper + Sand Paper

TheNewGuy

hey people,

im in the process of slowly taking my bike apart, any comments on using paint stripper and sand paper on my frame so i dont have to sandblast....the coaters say silica sand is a bad idea to prep for coating because it'll counteract the coats....so i just figured i'd use some paint stripper and some lighter grit sand paper and just take the paint off in clumps....any words of wisdom from the veterans?

any positive input would be awesome

thanks beforehand

Mike

I used stripper, let it bubble, then sprayed it with the hose off, then more coats of stripper, then alittle scraping with a razor, then finished it off with the pressure washer, then sanded the surface rust off before painting, then washed with soap and water.

The stripper doesnt work to well under I think 60 d. though.

yeah im just tryin to think of a way to prep it before i send it to the powdercoaters...up here in oregon it costs an arm and a leg to get things coated, $200 for a frame to be exact...i might see if i can get my a arms and swingarm chromed and then just powdercoat my frame...we have a friend that plates things for a living so maybe i can get a good break...

anyways thanks for the feedback,

Mike

yeah im just tryin to think of a way to prep it before i send it to the powdercoaters...up here in oregon it costs an arm and a leg to get things coated, $200 for a frame to be exact...i might see if i can get my a arms and swingarm chromed and then just powdercoat my frame...we have a friend that plates things for a living so maybe i can get a good break...

anyways thanks for the feedback,

Mike

If you have a friend that does plating then I would contact them.... They have acid tanks that strip metals for paint... You could have them strip it and then you could bring it for powdercoating.

If you use paint stripper do not rinse with water until your all done. Water neutralizes the stripper so you would otherwise have to dry the frame before re-applying more stripper...

Ive never heard of a powdercoater not wanting a frame sand blasted.....

• 2 weeks later...