The twist throttle strikes again

lowidenfast

I bought my banshee about 6 weeks back.  It came with a twist throttle which has put me in some hairy situations a few times now.  Yesterday it finally bit me in the ass.  I was riding through trails and ended up on the gas much more than I wanted to be b/c of the throttle causing the back end to come around too far and catch a tree.  Bent my beadlock wheel and spindle, not sure if the axle is OK or not.  I went up onto the handlebars and my right shin broke the front plastic and my coolant temp gauge.  I lost my billet gas cap vent tube too.   What sucks is that we were just wrenching on it and this was a test ride to see if I had fixed the problem.  Now I have a whole new set of problems! 

No clue why some of you guys have issues with a twist throttle??? I have ran one for years and have never had a issue with it once. Most of my buddies run one also. 

What type of riding do you guys do though?  I ride tight trails (aggressively) and some mx / jumping.  I get in trouble when the ride is really rough and I accidentally grab too much throttle trying to hold on.  In this case, I was approaching a turn in the trail, coming in hot and there were some braking bumps that got me bouncing around a bit and, as a result, I grabbed a hand full of throttle that I didn't need.   I was able to swing the back end around to avoid running off of the trail altogether but my right rear rim slammed a tree

When I jump, I need to be able to grip the bars tight WITHOUT twisting the throttle and I have a hard time with that.  I'm sure I would eventually get used to it, but I might kill myself before that happens.  I've just rode with a thumb throttle on 4 wheels and a twist on two wheels my entire life.  This banshee has a pretty wicked power band (don't they all) and it doesn't take much to get you into trouble sometimes.  I ride hard and I know there will be some accidents but so far the throttle has been the cause of my close calls and yesterday's accident

Let your right arm go loose, don't hang on to it so tightly, I know it sounds fucked but you gotta lean and throw your ass around and not rely on throttle so much, pin it just as you get into the turn than half way through pin it again all while fish tailing, cut the corner on the inside, I dunno that's how I do it lol

It is one of those things people either seem to love or hate. I have never had a issue with mine but I have had people get on mine and go over backwards within 5 mins of being on it. 

Let your right arm go loose, don't hang on to it so tightly, I know it sounds fucked but you gotta lean and throw your ass around and not rely on throttle so much, pin it just as you get into the turn than half way through pin it again all while fish tailing, cut the corner on the inside, I dunno that's how I do it lol

With trails some corners are very bumpy and you got to have a good firm grip on the bars or you will be flying off it.

Never had any problems with any twist throttle on any bike of any kind. I think its easier than a thumb to get partial throttle but I also think its sacreligious to have a twist throttle on a quad. Like a guy that just couldnt learn to use a thumb throttle. Try a skidoo throttle sometime , or a seadoo toggle or a honda pwc watercraft trigger throttle Those are all different.