Indiana XC Racing 2014

swhitey917

Currently looking for a sponsor if anyone knows any smaller company in the midwest area looking for help getting promoted this year. I plan on running a lot more series next year as well such as MAXC and GNCC so future relationships would be available as well. Not looking for much mainly would just like to represent something and help someones business anyway I can. Seems like everyone i meet has a sponsor at these races anymore so it would be nice to represent someone as well to make conversations a little more 2 sided lol.

I have done both XC and MX and XC is by far way more challenging for me and I like it. My series they bar code us also and time us per lap. First laps are usually slower due to a lot of bottlenecks and getting stuck behind slower riders. All our races are 1 hour 30 min + a lap based off the overall leader and you have 40min from the time the leader takes the checkered flag to finish your current lap in order to be credited for that lap.

AWESOME pics! Looks like a fun start!

How are the ATV classes set up? 

A, B and C?

Is there a gate start or flag start?

Classes are set up as followed:

PRO 1

A 15+ 2

B 15-21 3

Junior B 22+ 4 

Vet B 30+ / Senior B 40+ 5

C 15-21 6

C 22+ 7

C 30+ 8

Utility/Sport 9

D 14-21 10

D 22+ 11

Womens & Schoolboy 13-15

All races are Dead engine flag start. and usually once the row in front of you is around the first or second hole shot corner they will flag the next row so in a matter of minutes you have 160+ quads entering into the same woods. Gets pretty exciting the first 10 minutes or so of the first lap.

haha yea what I thought... XC is a whole new ball game.  damn brutal on a bike.. dont know about you but I ran even my 4 poke hot most of the race spewing coolant... mud clogging everything up airbox clogged to hell.. yet ya just hold it WOT for 2 ish ours lol

Yea it is for sure hard on a bike. I usually spend the next few days after a race getting things cleaned off and repairing parts that I broke during the race.

AWESOME pics! Looks like a fun start!

How are the ATV classes set up? 

A, B and C?

Is there a gate start or flag start?

One thing to mention about XC that makes it way different then trail riding is be aware that each lap the track is going to be a little different than it was the previous lap. Some people believe they can take the first lap to learn the track and then WFO the next lap and I have seen a lot get hurt that way because of the track changing due to a couple hundred quads going over or under the same obstacles. Muddy tracks are the worse about this. Seems like in the 4-6 laps you will get in you never get to take the same line twice so it makes it hard to gain on your lap times and get in a comfortable groove. 

Looks easy. 

How many times do you have to stop for fuel on your R in an hour and a half? And do you have a quick fill tank lid and can?

It mainly depends on the track. Some tracks are tight and technical where I am not on the pipe as much as a track with large open field sections. It also depends on how long the track itself is. Tracks range from 5-12 miles per lap. 

I run an older 3.5 gallon tank and not the newer 4 gallon tank for the R (i like the older ones better) and I usually pit to fill up one time. Some tracks I could probably make it the entire race but I dont like to chance it. I do not have a quick fill but it is on my list of future things to buy. 

How do you know when you get low? See anyone run out of gas? 

I just know from riding my quad and seat time. After a few races you start to get an idea how hard and how long you can ride on a tank. Longer tracks make it a little more difficult to manage since longer tracks mean you actually do less laps meaning less chances to pit. I wouldn't recommend "trail riding" to see how long you can go on a tank of fuel and basing a race off that because you will probably burn through it about 2 times faster in a race and not even realize it. I have seen a lot of people run out of fuel, mainly at the beginning of the season when they are still trying to get things figured out. A lot of four strokes with no engine work and a modest rider can go a hole race on a stock tank. My buddy that races with me has a stock motor yfz450 and he can race a hole race on a tank of fuel no problem. Another buddy has a 510cc honda trx and he can only do about two 7 mile laps before he has to pit on a stock tank. Every quad is different.  

Also.. seen 1 too many do this including myself... if you do a pit stop your still on the clock... dont go hauling ass on that lap... ride it decent but conserve your energy on the new lap.     I took 1 pit stop for water / fuel and right out of the pit I hauled ass... really wasnt a point to it cause that lap time was fubar anyways.  I mean every place will have different set up and rules but its how it worked for me.

Not sure how yours is scored but the end of a bad lap is just as important as the start of a new one in all the series I have run. In my series your lap times are mainly just for your own personal use and for you to find out how far off pace you are from the leader / how much of a lead you have. They aren't used for scoring. You are scored by your overall finish time and how many laps you completed. 

ah its been a while since Ive done a XC race...  but they did something with our best lap times just cant remember how it worked out... but that could of just been FMSQ doing a little side pot thing for the racers

Thats probably so, I know some race series i have ran we have a hole shot side pot which is always a nice little bonus for the day. 

I can run about 10 laps on a MX track on one tank which equals about 35 min of WFO.

Best thing to do would be to pit after 2 laps your first race to check your fuel level and then judge your future races off of that. On a 6 mile/lap course your lap times would be between 16-28 min or so depending on how tight the course is and how many times you get stuck in bottlenecks or stuck in general. I would check it after two laps and decide then if you can either make it the rest of the race (2-4 more laps) or not.

• Like 1

Cool pics. You had any mechanical issues during the races yet?

XC racing is very hard on a quad, so usually have issues after about ever race. Most are usually minor tho. Problems I have ran into so far this year are: Bent an upper a-arm in Round #1, In Round #2 I broke a clutch cable, finished off my rear brake pads, and finished off a tie-rod end that all have been replaced for Round #3. At the start of the season it isnt to bad because there is usually enough weeks between races to get things fixed between working. It gets a little busy during the summer when you have races every weekend. Mechanically as far as engine wise my quad is great since It was gone through over the winter.  My shocks do seem to be getting a little softer so I think this winter they are gonna be sent off for a rework but they are due for it anyhow. 

My newest addition. Excited to use this for the season. Have always wanted an enclosed and picked one up for a good deal. Beats loading the quad in the back of the truck and is gonna be nice to be able to get in out of the weather if it rains, etc.

huqana5u.jpg

dadahytu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk