Not getting spark

I have a 1998 Yamaha banshee with FMF pipes no mods that I know of. I have owned it for three years and it's ran great. I washed it a couple weeks ago and I hasn't ran since. I have no spark but every now and then I will get a spark here's a list of what I've check.

I used the following website for help:

Banshee Electrical FAQ - DFN Systems

www.dfn.com/agservices/elecfaq.html

Kill switch test good

Key switch test good

Stator coil: red to green 19.8 ohms

Pick coil: red/white to green/white 112 ohms

Lighting coil: yellow to black 0.5-0.6 ohms

Ignition coil test:I have two coils, one is new aftermarket and other is old oem

Primary test: 0.6 ohms old and 1.0 ohms new

Secondary test: wire with and without caps 5,700 ohms old and 6,000 ohms new

Torrs was eliminated before electrical problem

I also ordered some new spark plug caps and they tested out at 16,000 ohms on both coils NGK caps. When I put the new ngk plugs it fired and ran for couple minutes then lost spark and died. Couldn't get spark again so I thought maybe my ignition coils was bad so I ordered new one put that thing in and got spark for a second then went out. I'm down to the wiring harness the grounds or the CDI box. I read somewhere that the CDI box either works or doesn't work it doesn't just sometimes send a spark and sometimes it doesn't is that true or not? How do I check my ground wire going to ignition coil? Appreciate any help or suggestions at this point. Not sure if I should order cdi or wiring harness?

This is where an oscilloscope is your friend.  You might be able to catch the pulse activity with an analog multimeter but won't know the voltage.  You want to test the coil primary leads right off the CDI or the wires right at the coil.  

The CDI VERY MUCH SO could do what you are describing.  I have worked on electronics for years and broken solder joints are very common on boards.  Hell, take a look at the Chevy windshield wiper drill board recall!!!  I found and was fixing those suckers for years before Chevy finally recalled them.  

Anyway, it is a safe bet you are losing power FROM the CDI so you would want to test to see if power is lost coming from the pulse coil or source exciter coil.  Sort of sounds like a CDI but I would be the last guy to recommend replacing parts without knowing for sure.  

Brandon

Mull Engineering

My banshee finally started. I built a new harness and it works great. When I get time I'm going to post everything I did and how I made the new harness. I learned a lot and hopefully I can help someone else out. I appreciate everyone that commented and gave me suggestions. So I'll post later, Right now I'm putting everything back together so I can go ride today.

• 6 years later...
9 hours ago, Davidmdx25 said:

You never posted an update of what you did. I’m aging the exact same issue

CDI can work intermittently. I've seen bikes start and idle fine and also rev out clean, but when put under a load fall flat on their faces.

Of all the things I would swap, CDI would be first.

Bad wiring harnesses also cause a lot of issues and since it's hard to see potential broken wires, you pretty much have to swap the whole thing out.

BansheeHQ has a wiring harness sponsor for that.