Fire Arm Finishes

jbooker82

I am currently in the process of building a 10/22. It is going to be all Tony Kidd parts. (www.coolguyguns.com).

Black anodized single stage trigger, black anodized receiver with 0 MOA scope base, black scalloped bolt, Stocky's Eliminator Cobalt Blue laminated stock (might go for a black Hogue).

The barrel is going to be a Kidd polished fluted threaded stainless steel barrel. I have been thinking about having it blackened. What are my options? I was thinking about going with a Black Nitride finish. It is a hot salt bath that actually makes the barrel surface harder which is suppose to preserve the hand lapped bore finish. H&M Metal Processing is who I was looking at having it done by. They said the barrel would be $100 bucks but they have a minimum order of $200. I though about sending the bolt in and having it done as well.

AR's are gay

Im a 10/22 freak but have yet to use any of the KIDD stuff. I did go look at their sight and looked at their recievers. The screw mount rail system is a joke. If you're going to build a NICE gun, start with a quality platform. Ive been using these guys http://www.tacticalinc.com/receivers-parts-c-774_606.html stuff for awhile now and have a couple rear charge handle and a side charge handle reciver of theirs and the rail is machined into the reciever, not bolted on. Im currently doing a couple recievers from their 80% setups. Ill post a few pics of those when Im done with one of the guns. Heres a picture of one of my rear charge handle setups from them. This one has a VQ trigger in it. I will be using a KIDD single stage in one of the next ones to compare side by side to the VQ stuff. On paper they are very similar both in performance and price.

20130731_184912-1_zpsjcws8e44.jpg

That's a lot of disposable money for a 10/22! Your better off with an ar platform and buy a .22 bolt....

I did see a cool 10/22 takedown in camo for $379

At a local sporting good store tho!

I had a T.D. on order and started buying hop up parts for it. It got to the point where the only thing I was going to be using was the Ruger reciever and barrel. It was talking a while to get in so I ended up calling and canceling the order. I figured that I had just as well get a reciver and a barrel and build it my self. I didnt really need a 22 that breaks in two.

Edited by jbooker82

AR's are gay

Im a 10/22 freak but have yet to use any of the KIDD stuff. I did go look at their sight and looked at their recievers. The screw mount rail system is a joke. If you're going to build a NICE gun, start with a quality platform. Ive been using these guys http://www.tacticalinc.com/receivers-parts-c-774_606.html stuff for awhile now and have a couple rear charge handle and a side charge handle reciver of theirs and the rail is machined into the reciever, not bolted on. Im currently doing a couple recievers from their 80% setups. Ill post a few pics of those when Im done with one of the guns. Heres a picture of one of my rear charge handle setups from them. This one has a VQ trigger in it. I will be using a KIDD single stage in one of the next ones to compare side by side to the VQ stuff. On paper they are very similar both in performance and price.

20130731_184912-1_zpsjcws8e44.jpg

Nice looking .22.  I havent ever really had super nice 10/22. They have been run of the mill all stock rugers. I already ordered the reciever. I didnt really think about the machined on vs. bolt on rail. I will have to see how it goes. I am not going to be doing competions. Its going to end up being a way over kill plinking gun. That stock is pretty much the one I am getting only its going to be blue and not hollewed out behind the thumb hole.

I have a quick question, not to hijack the thread or anything but have any of you heard if the scandium finish on the S&W's are worth a fuck? Im not really even sure what scandium is, but was looking at the S&W 386 XL hunter.

TON!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got all my parts and put it together tonight. Looks pretty good. I am going to leave the barrel polished stainless. I will post up some pics once I get the scope mounted. I have a Nikon 3-9x40 Pro Staff Rimfire scope. Waiting on the rings. I went with low matte Warne Maxima Quick Detach Rings.