Remove every-other knob work for more stock setups?

QuadMXRacer

I have a near stock trail quad with +2 swing arm and just ported and pipes.  Starting to get into hill climbing after finding Wellsville in Ohio with a bunch of huge hills.  I am thinking of cutting every other knob off like I see many of the competition hill climbers do.  Will this work for a more stock setup or is it more intended for the high HP machines? 

Also what about 22 inch tires for a near stock machine?  I got hung up on a few hills on my 20's the last time and thought I was just losing traction until I realized my swingarm was dragging in the ruts. I know a 22" tire would help with the ruts and rocks but wonder if the extra weight would hurt a mostly stock motor?   If I drop a tooth in the front would a stock motor turn the 22's or should I stay with 20's?  The type of hill climbing is in the woods of Ohio and the tires would be mostly used for climbing as we only putt around going from hill to hill.  If I buy 22's for hill climbing I will just keep my current 20" tires for riding at my other spots without the huge hills.

Thanks for any info. 

Thanks for the replies.  I have a worn set of the MR501 on one of my other quads which is my old MX hybrid quad from the 90's with a 250R chassis and a 350X motor.  Anyways, I do like the traction on the hills but I worry about the 2-ply lasting as Wellsville is very rocky.  But after doing some searches on this site and reading how much you guys love those MR501 tires I think I will buy another set to use for when I go hill climbing at some of my other locations which are not as rocky.

So I take it you guys don't think 22's are a good idea?  Many of the veteran climbers I have started riding with use Pro Wedges but they are putting plugs in their tires almost every ride which I don't want to mess with.  I was thinking some 22's with every-other row cut out to lighten them a little might keep my swingarm from getting hung up on the ruts.  But then again maybe a light set of 20's will give me more momentum to pull me through where the swingarm is dragging...

Awesome website!

I know several people from wellsville. Ever ride with a old timer named preacher? He rides a 250r. Anyway, regardless of what tire you use, unless you are climbing on a machine made hill, your gonna get flats often. It the name of the game. You wont find any natural hill thats worth a damn that does not have rocks, roots, ect standing between you and the top

special06shee, yes I have ridden with Preacher (Gary)!  He is an amazing hill climber and a wealth of knowledge on the Wellsville trails.  I love following him around but I am just starting to learn this hill climbing stuff and I can't do all the hills that he and his crew go up.  I think he is the one who led the pro wedge bandwagon because most of the guys he rides with use them.   

Yeh, gary is a great guy. He comes to pa and rides coal with us quite often. He is not the best rider, but that old man has HUGE balls! Great guy for sure! Most of all those wellsville guys swear by pro wedges. Thats what id run if i were you. Just be like everyone else and carry plugs.

Edited by special06shee

• 1 year later...

yeah with wellsville your gonna get flats from the rocks no way around it.some beadlocks might help keep your tire on the rim when it cartwheels down a hill,seriously.i would definately drop a tooth on the counter if you go with 22s.depending on the tire thats a big jump in weight for just a inch in clearance.hill climbing is a experience type deal,most people have found set ups over the yrs that work for them and not everyone else