im so confused on ice tires

AT25

so, this will be my first year "racing" on the ice this year, and I don't know what to get. after reading and researching for about 6 hours I decided to just post the question im assuming the c826 18X9.5-8 for the rears. but what rim would go on those? would it be 8x8 rim then? or is there a different 18inch cheng shin tire out there that im not seeing. then for the front I don't know what to go with? what would be a good tire for someone to start with?

Only 2 sizes for the rear CST C826. The 18" you mentioned and the 20".

The 18" would normally get 8x8 wheels but I've seen 8x9's. The guys I know running them like that tend to have the same belief that it makes the side wall not so spongy. Should be noted one of them is a rubber class champ and 250-330cc champ.

For the fronts, you could even run stockers studded to get you going. There are a lot of guys running the hole shot where it has a flatter profile in the center lugs.

When studding, please do your self a favor and search high and low for good stud patterns. Don't just shoot a screw in the middle of the lug. Also, 1" minimum for the rears. I've seen guys get away with 5/8 up front but I like 3/4".

Here is the best info I can find for you in a short period:

These are the 2 best front tires available to stud based on price/traction/durability (I've given the tire name, size, parts unlimited PN, and retail price)

ITP Sandstar 19x6-10 Front tire: 0322-0003 $76.95

itpsandstarfront_zps1114117b.jpg

Here is a pic of someone starting to stud an ITP sandstar front tire.  I would put the studs slightly closer together than this but this guy is the one guy with success with these tires and his have lasted the longest of anyone with dual-ribbed fronts so I guess I can't say much else to that effect.  Almost everyone runs the 19" that has these tires, they do make a 21" (which people run non-studded).  They worked well, but they won't last nearly as long as the kenda kutter XC.  In fact, some people have studs ripping out after only a few races (we get over 60 motos on a set of Kenda Kutter XC's, and they are still decent we just build new ones to have fresh studs).

Kenda Kutter XC 21x7-10 Front tire: 0321-0208 $111.95 ($137 for similar holeshot xc)

Kenda Kutter XC 19x6-10 Front tire: 0321-0204 $100.95 (no similar holeshot xc)

kendakutterxc_zpse4920117.jpg

The tire size is personal preference.  My brother and I prefer the 21" front tire, but yet we run the 19" front on the trx450r (21" on our hybrids).  We've run 7 front tires, kenda mx (old style and new style), fast trekkkers, holeshots, dunlops, kenda xc, itp sandstars, maxis, and the Kenda Kutter XC lasts the longest and still hooks up amazing (we believe the old kenda mx tires were best for traction because of lug placement but they have been discontinued, the new kenda mx aren't as good).

As for studding them, first, get a tire groover and grove a radial slot down the middle of the middle lugs (roughly 1/4-3/8" deep).  Then, you'll put 4 studs per lug in the middle row (so there will only be 4, not 8 like if you counted the middle row as 2 lugs now that you grooved it), 2 studs per lug on the outside rows (closest to the middle).

This is the no-brainer rear tire to stud.

CST C826 18x9.5-8 Rear tire: c8261 $71.95

C8261_zps7e2289a8.png

You need 1 stud per lug minimum, and if you do only oval, you need 2 studs per lug on the rightmost two rows (on both tires) and 2 studs per lug on the 3rd row in only half of the time.  If you do TT, you need 2 studs per lug on the rightmost two rows (on both tires) and same for leftmost two rows (or just one leftmost row if your TT course uses an oval and is therefore mostly left handers).  Doing so prolongs the life of the tire along with helping in the corners.  These will last us roughly 40 motos before we start ripping studs out (only 25-30 motos without the dual studded rows).  We sell them used after they lose a stud or two and they will still last another 20-30 motos but we won't take the risk of a flat tire.

Lastly, any 2-ply front tire will not last long and the lugs are often far too soft causing them to fold over in corners.  Holeshot XC front tires are more expensive retail than the kenda kutter XC last I saw (~$130 per tire compared to ~$110) and I didn't check holeshot mx tires.

Found probably the cheapest place for these tires (chaparral racing and dennis kirk).  These prices are right around dealer cost through parts-unlimited, and you'll notice they are significantly cheaper than the retail prices I listed above.

Kenda Kutter XC: http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/kenda-kutter-k580-xc-front-tire/328-5620.aspx

$60 for 19", $69 for 21"

CST Ablaze (itp sandstar copy): http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/cst-ablaze-cs01-sand-front-tire/368-1390.aspx

https://www.denniskirk.com/search/cst+ablaze.q/40.ipp

$60

ITP Sandstar: http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/itp-sand-star-rib-front-tire/337-0955.aspx

https://www.denniskirk.com/itp/front-sand-star-21x7-10-tire.p542367.prd/542367.sku

$54 for 19", $63 for 21"

$47 for 19", $56 for 21"

c826 rear: https://www.denniskirk.com/54770.sku?utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=cse

$49 

• 2 months later...

you should have just followed the advice provided... :yank:

You've just ruined a set of nice new front tires by putting studs in them.

If you are going to try to get them tires to work, make sure every stud is facing the same way (so the slot is running radial).  Then you will need 1-2 studs (probably 2) in each of the lugs on the sides of the middle one.

Do Not follow this EXACTLY cuz it's for bikes but u can follow the "angles" of screw installation to help keep your stud in the tire longer.

Used this method for my I.C.E. Series tires and never had any studs pull out in three seasons.

• 8 months later...

Sorry I posted this in another thread but meant to post it here

THESE ARE NOT INDEXED... just how i stored them for the summer.. These were installed using the Tapping Angles in the above posted video..

Front Dunlop Stock Tire

FrontTireICE_zpsb082e9e7.jpg

Rear Cheng Shin C826 again.. NOT INDEXED

RearTireICE_zps1fd0a4b8.jpg

• 4 months later...