Need To Remove Old Paint

Oilsmoke

Paint thinner not going to touch automobile paint. I was hoping someone had tried so type of stripper that won't soften the plastic. I was look for a brand.

If I need allot of elbow grease I will sand it.

But thx for the tip :)

blast the surface at little further distance that usual. the eastwood catalog carries a blasting material that is designed specifically for this purpose.

Go to your local automotive paint distributor.... Ask them for a paint stripper that comes in an aerosol can. Its made for stripping paint off of the new style plastic bumpers. I believe its made by Kleanstrip or Talsol. As with anything make sure you test in a hidden area first. It should not hurt the plastic, but again TEST to make sure.

I will check my catalogs at work tommorrow and see if I can get you a part #, cost and brand name.

Thx Banshee370

There is a Suppler in the next town I'll go saturday a check it out. Kleenstrip I have heard of it but never seen it work, I know MEK is great on metal. But i think the epa got a tight rope on that stuff.

Talsol That is new to me.

Oh On a side note Banshee370 Is there a PDF for a Banshee Service manual?

Thx Banshee370

There is a Suppler in the next town I'll go saturday a check it out. Kleenstrip I have heard of it but never seen it work, I know MEK is great on metal. But i think the epa got a tight rope on that stuff.

Talsol That is new to me.

Oh On a side note Banshee370 Is there a PDF for a Banshee Service manual?

DO NOT USE MEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant stress enough NOT to mess with that stuff. The reasons I say not to use it, is more for health reasons. it is EXTREMELY BAD shit to mess with! I'm around some nasty chemicals all day long and you couldnt pay me enough to handle that stuff. So please DO NOT use it.

Here is a link to the factory service manual

http://customautodesign.com/apps/Banshee.pdf

I uploaded it to a friends server a while ago.... he doesnt mind.

mek will melt the plastic and is a pcb, highly cancer causing.another high risk way would be muratic acid. been using it to strip paint off of parts for chroming,whew, takes it right off.but get a lung full of it and your lunch is coming right up.burns the hair out of my nostrils.

mek will melt the plastic and is a pcb, highly cancer causing.another high risk way would be muratic acid. been using it to strip paint off of parts for chroming,whew, takes it right off.but get a lung full of it and your lunch is coming right up.burns the hair out of my nostrils.

Shit man.... I "HOPE" you wear a mask when doing that! If not let me know and I will send you one! Thats not the stuff to play with! I've lost my father and friends to cancer caused from these chemicals... play it safe! Seriously.

Oilsmoke> I appologize for not getting the info for you today. Things got a bit hectic for me and I didnt get the chance to call. I will tomorrow.

Edited by banshee370

got to the local automotive paint supplier and ask for SEM bumper stripper it comes in spray cans bout 5-6 bucks a can might need 2 cans. make sure you rinse real well with water when done. also dont forget after you strip your plastics to use hot soapy water to sand with. any more questions pm me. i have painted many banshee bodys over the years. i aslo was a auto painter for 5 years but gave it up. my body wasnt taking kindly to the chemicals.

got to the local automotive paint supplier and ask for SEM bumper stripper it comes in spray cans bout 5-6 bucks a can might need 2 cans. make sure you rinse real well with water when done. also dont forget after you strip your plastics to use hot soapy water to sand with. any more questions pm me. i have painted many banshee bodys over the years. i aslo was a auto painter for 5 years but gave it up. my body wasnt taking kindly to the chemicals.

Virtualbat:

Thank you! If my brain didnt feal like it was going to explode this week then I would have remembered it was by SEM.

I too gave up painting everyday.... Its very tempting to get back into it because the $ can be very good (at the right shop) but my health is worth more :)

Another tip to stripping the plastic is to lightly rough up the finish(paint) with some 180g sand paper. (I normally recommend 80g but I dont want anyone digging too deep and hitting the plastic w/ 80g paper)

Make sure you rough it up a little before you apply the paint stripper. This helps the paint stripper to work faster and easier since it has to get under the finish to remove it.