speaker upgrade in my pickup

Looking for some good sounding 6 1/2 component speakers for my gmc crew cab. Thinking JL Audio since that's what my 10" subs and amp are. Any speaker gurus around? Been out da game for awhile.

if it were me...  I'd do 5.25's in the kick panels and use the 6.5's for mid bass.  As far as what brand.. thats entirely up to what you think sounds good.. what sounds good to one could sound like junk to the next..  Some like the bright highs, some like smoother highs.  I typically prefer the sound of silk tweeters.

Never gave much thought on the kick panels. Good idea. I do like crisp clean sound but don't want the loud hissing. I listen to mostly rock and country and occasional hip hop. Might have to check out hybrid audio, never head of em.

Holy shit!!!! Hybrid audio 6.5 2 way components 600-900 a pair. Hell I'm too hard of hearing to pay that much ha. I'm sure they're nice but I had a hard time spending 1400 for my screen and camera.

Holy shit!!!! Hybrid audio 6.5 2 way components 600-900 a pair. Hell I'm too hard of hearing to pay that much ha. I'm sure they're nice but I had a hard time spending 1400 for my screen and camera.

they are pricey, but you get what you pay for. they are EXTREMELY clean sounding, the set i listened to at a local store that sold me on them was powered by a 500 watt MBQuart amp. No distortion, even at extremely high volume levels. I was sold on them the second I heard them. But if you are just looking for something quite a bit better than stock. Might look into MBQuart, JL Audio, maybe Polk Audio as well

JL components are nice..   I'm old school,  So all the shit that used to be good.. has sold out and isn't anymore.    I've used Eclipse, Orion, Directed, Diamond, MB Quart and Boston Acoustics back in the days (along with a ton of others)..  I think the only one thats still reputable is Boston.   I put MB Quart (new stuff) in my truck this year.  They're now owned by MaxxSonics so I wasn't sure what type of quality I'd be getting.. But I'm fairly impressed and the price is right.  Not on the same level as they used to be IMO.. but.. still nice.

Let me know if your looking for some amplifiers.  I have 2 Diamond audio D5 300.2 amps that I'm selling.  I used them on the front sound stage in my camaro and they were amazing.  I couldn't use them in my truck since I didn't have room for 4 amplifiers.  I had to go to a 4 channel setup for my for my front.  :(

If you choose the MB Quart route.. I have a set of reference 6.5 mid bass drivers and x-over I'd sell cheap also if your interested.

I bet they are Colby, that's quite impressive they can handle that with no distortion. But, I'm old school like fould, hard to teach an old dog new tricks lol. Btw, I loved eclipse mids, just weren't reliable for me. Never herd the JL's, so I have to check em out. Just sucks listening to them on a wall vs in a vehicle.

secret is clean power..  Rather then push hard with a small amp.. push a little with a big amp.  Non-linear clipping is the #1 cause to speaker failure.  Smallest amp I've used so far for my front stage is my Diamond 300.2's @ 2 ohms.  On my Eclipse component source separates I used a Orion XTR400.2 (100x2)  Probably the best sounding amp I've hear besides some of the old high end Diamond and Phoenix gold ZX stuff.    The speakers only sound as good as the amp running them.

I am looking for a good amp for the mids. But I'll wait until I find out what I go with. Might keep it all jl. I'll keep what you said in mind because I have a bad habit of putting small shitty amps on my mids.

I am looking for a good amp for the mids. But I'll wait until I find out what I go with. Might keep it all jl. I'll keep what you said in mind because I have a bad habit of putting small shitty amps on my mids.

just as with almost everything electronical, you get what you pay for in car audio.. JL is an awesome brand, a bit overpriced IMO, but all of their products are good quality.

I went with all pioneer in my pickup. Got almost everything at Walmart.

Head unit and 4 speakers 125

Amp 100

Sub 125

Box 18

Wiring 60

Cap. 50

Personally I feel a pick up is to small to really notice any thing from my setup to a 2k dollar setup. Unless its really fucked up. But then again there's those people that really take this shit serious. Mines louder then stock, dosent hiss/ static at high volume, bass has a nice kick, I'm set.

Yall talking about mb quarts made me start doing a little digging today. I found 2 of my old mb quart mq160's hiding in a storage box. I hope these will fit in the front door panels of my 2012 dodge,if they will im going to have them hooked up tuesday. These were some very clear an nice sounding speakers back in the day.