serval 421 or cub 421 for climbing

quadgod211

got a 4mill stock cyl..wanna buy a cub but been outta the game a while..wich is better??

i know all roads lead to a 10 mill or bigger but right now im just needing to get on the board while working on a chassis setup and tires the rest of this season..i got 35pwk..fasthead..shearer inframes..duneable trans..

+4 swinger..ama wont let us run paddles so right now majority runs 501ohtsu.. 

i trail ride 10% maybe just to a climb spot for testing..

matt

All i do is climb the biggest hills around. Im currently riding a 10cub. I love the motor. I did have a 421 cub that i used to climb with. It was a beast as well. But if you had to lift off the throttle for an extended period of time you were grabbing for the clutch in a hurry. Id say if your a real aggressive rider and like a higher strung motor go with a cub. If your a lazy rider and want room for rider error do a serval.

All i do is climb the biggest hills around. Im currently riding a 10cub. I love the motor. I did have a 421 cub that i used to climb with. It was a beast as well. But if you had to lift off the throttle for an extended period of time you were grabbing for the clutch in a hurry. Id say if your a real aggressive rider and like a higher strung motor go with a cub. If your a lazy rider and want room for rider error do a serval.

Yep what he saidbit all depends how much you like to clutch the bike

our ama hills in ky ohio wv are long speed hills...we ran our nationals at redwing one year and it was about the same as most of the other hills ..i ran the same circuit as johnny curry who now runs the 10mill cub alum frame cr.....copperhead ridgehillclimbs has some youtube vids

as far as trail hills alot of ruts n rocks .most old natural gas pipelines that stretched dirt bikes rut out all weekend....i had a cr 540 400ex hybrid that i climbed with all the torque to handle obstacles ....it just didnt have the speed for competition ...it was around the period the cubs were coming on in hillclimbing...i finished overall 3nd and not 1 banshee in the top 5...all 500s me being the only honda the rest being zilla's....i dont know if any of you guys ever seen the heavos 7 dvd (i think) with the redwing hillclimb scene...there was a yellow lt250 with a chrome 500 w/ snailpipe...that bike has won 6 years in a row in open class in our district ...same guy also has a 250r frame 580 ktm that dominates 4stroke class.....i got vids somwhere around the house on a dvd...my 500 was on this forum at 1 time... 

thing is right now i wanna trail ride a couple times a season not nothing hardcore just open roads mostly...but if i see sumpthin with a crowd around a bunch of dirtbike young guys i wanna show em that they cant run with the quads on a hill....

ill go big over the winter but i wanna use my crank i got right now for the time being....i had a 421 cub drag motor and it wasnt enuff for drag for me but trails would have been a diff story....

i need a good lock out as well....but i just been out so long that i didnt know servals existed....and there not a price difference really.... 

matt

Edited by quadgod211

Are you talking about Nationals in 2006?

If so, the first half of the ATV class ran a dry hill while the second half ran in sloppy mud because it started raining.

I can assure you no LT500 will ever win another National again unless there's a specific class for it.

yea thats what im saying,,,its been a while.... my old 500 made 105 hp 85 tq on race gas...i finished 3nd in every climb that year

what i can put together is everyone around here are still running mr501 tires...and tyler i dont figure that you could hook up on a 20 tire or 501's ....so at the most i think there running maybe a 4mill cheetahs p/v or maybe 7 mill tripple port stock cyls...thats what i hear through the grapevine anyways. 

but i dont wanna jump in the rest of this season and go for 1st..i  wanna throw a set of cylinders on with what i got for now...then when winter comes and start of next season ill go 10 or bigger...but for now it looks like servals would be more what i need if there even close to a cub but i can get outta the gas to maybe dodge a rock or wash out spot...but i dont wanna get out ran by stockers with port work on flat ground either...lol

i think my bike is weak as water right now with a 370 ported motor 35 pwks and shearers...its got a 14 41 gear and +4 swinger and on our test hill it hooks good out the gate in 2nd then bang 3nd and it just bogs...1st time i have ran shearers are they more top end curve then cpi's??theres not a diference in it and a cub curve right now to me...its hard to run 6th gear down the road with out clutching a few times to get in the power....its like its way fat but not...its got a 155 main 48 pilot +5 timing 18 domes 185psi 50/50 mix fuel...does this add up???

matt

I am not really familiar with what motors the guys in your area are running.

I can't say that a 4mm Serval is going to do you much good though.

At a bare minimum, a 10mm Cub would probably work.

Anymore, you need at least a 10mm DM to be competitive.

Currently, the top 5 ATV hillclimbers in the country are all running 10mm or 18mm DMs.

are they running 22inch tires???

well i mean if i build a new 10 cub then i might aswell do a dm or a atleast go bigger then a 10....i honestly dont think we got anything for you all there becuase i got a buddy running a 7supercub i think and hes a top 3 or 4 in vet class and open....you must really take king of hill alot then...i mean 9 outta 10 climbs that year we were faster then the bikes was....

does my jetting sound way off....last time i had a banshee i had lectrons on alky.....elev is 800ft

I run a 421 serval.  For what I ride it has a sweet "forgiving" powerband.  The powerband comes on predictably and gently so I generally hook well.  I was debating between the serval and a cub when I was in the market (I ride hair scrambles and technical stuff as well as open land f'n around).  One factor I liked about the serval is I could always have a builder port it to stock cub port timings or any cub port job imaginable but I couldn't add metal to a cub to tame it down into a serval's powerband.  A lot of guys run some wicked fast setups and Im sure I'd get spanked as my banshee isn't set up for drag racing....   however...   I've not ever seen a cub cylinder amonst the groups I ride in.  Its mostly shitty banshees and "monster" YFZs lol.  And yes, the serval completely embarasses them in a heads up grudge race.

• Like 1

are they running 22inch tires???

well i mean if i build a new 10 cub then i might aswell do a dm or a atleast go bigger then a 10....i honestly dont think we got anything for you all there becuase i got a buddy running a 7supercub i think and hes a top 3 or 4 in vet class and open....you must really take king of hill alot then...i mean 9 outta 10 climbs that year we were faster then the bikes was....

does my jetting sound way off....last time i had a banshee i had lectrons on alky.....elev is 800ft

Yes, all of those bikes are running 22" tires. They are all direct copies of my bike. Me and my brother were the first to get into the 18DMs, back in 2010. Now everyone else has them, along with our setups from about two years ago. I am constantly changing our setups for the better and everyone else plays catch-up.

I've made it into KOTH every climb I have been to this year. My run at New Ulm, MN on Sunday was the 3rd fastest time of the day.

I usually don't stay for KOTH, but when I do, I am usually top 3. A couple years ago I won KOTH at Mankato. No ATV has ever done that in District 23. And I currently hold the ATV hill records on every hill except for Bay City, WI. I plan to set that one this weekend.

I must've missed the jetting specs and set up..