School me on Desktops

Looking to spend about 500.00 for a desktop in the office. Not really used for anything intense , just general computing,webbernetting, and some GoPro video editing.

I noticed that "bare bones" systems seem to have higher specs for the dollar.

Would this fit the bill? Are all the components required included in this kit ?  >

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8237607&CatId=333

OR 

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8343719&CatId=333

OR

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8237491&CatId=333

I know im capable of assembling the parts ( cant be that hard) and i have an I.T. buddy who can install the OS.

Anything I'm missing?

I use Moviemaker to edit all of mine with no issues. I've got a ton of videos, pictures and files on mine. Still works like the day I got it.

Cool. As long as it'll run that i'm good. How much RAM and HD space does it have?

Id rather save some space with an All-In-One like that,but need to make sure i get one that specs out sufficiently.

I can't remember RAM off the top of my head but it has 1T if HD space. I haven't even come close to touching that.

I actually bought it for the big screen and being all in one. I don't know that much about computers really.

It handles my needs very well and I've never had an issue in almost two years. Considering computers are nearly out of date when you buy them, I'd say it does pretty well.

The keyboard and mouse are wireless too. And it's got Beats audio which sounds pretty good.

You might check Best Buy's website or HP themselves. They have about ten touchscreen models.

Let me know if you can find out about the RAM on it. Ive read that a lot of people recommend 8gb of RAM,which seems like a TON to me,but im not too computer savvy.

I'm sure the 1TB of HD would be more than enough because Ive never used up my HD on any computer,no matter how small the HD.

Let me know if you can find out about the RAM on it. Ive read that a lot of people recommend 8gb of RAM,which seems like a TON to me,but im not too computer savvy.

I'm sure the 1TB of HD would be more than enough because Ive never used up my HD on any computer,no matter how small the HD.

You can't go wrong with 8gb the common seems to be 4gb. 4gb is sufficient for every day computing however i am not too familiar with video editing and how much computing power that takes. If the price difference isnt too big definitely go with 8. Worst come to worse if you you buy a computer that can hold 8gb and has 4gb you can get your buddy to throw 4gb more in. 

Edited by ClayAiken

• 3 weeks later...

Build your own.  Do a little research and decide what you want it to do.  Check with the guys at the PC Pitstop forum,  A couple of them helped me through my first build last year. 

FX-6200 Processor

ASUS AM3+ MB

8 GB of RAM (RAM is cheap,  buy as much as you can afford)

GTX 460

120 GB SSD

1.5 TB Hard drive

800W Gold rated power supply

Blu-Ray

I initially had about $450 into the build (already had a hard drive, monitor, mouse) and have added on over time.  I edit videos with Sony Vegas 10 and Adobe After Effects without any hiccups.  It is also a half way decent gaming machine.  Certainly not top of the line but It's still more powerful than the consoles that still haven't been released.   I also use it as a home  theater by hooking it up to my TV via HDMI.  

Build your own. Do a little research and decide what you want it to do. Check with the guys at the PC Pitstop forum, A couple of them helped me through my first build last year.

FX-6200 Processor

ASUS AM3+ MB

8 GB of RAM (RAM is cheap, buy as much as you can afford)

GTX 460

120 GB SSD

1.5 TB Hard drive

800W Gold rated power supply

Blu-Ray

I initially had about $450 into the build (already had a hard drive, monitor, mouse) and have added on over time. I edit videos with Sony Vegas 10 and Adobe After Effects without any hiccups. It is also a half way decent gaming machine. Certainly not top of the line but It's still more powerful than the consoles that still haven't been released. I also use it as a home theater by hooking it up to my TV via HDMI.

Where the fuck does a guy even start? Im stupid. (yes I know that's weird) Can I give to an electronic store and start pulling boxes apart and pulling shit out until I have the junk that I need? Id like to send some puter nerd a 1k gift card and my address and tell him to buy/build/ship a nice setup to me. Until then my blackberry is my link to the net.

• 1 year later...

hahaha is blackberry even still around??? LOL

if you want the biggest bang for your buck by a Mac, Lots of ppl hate on them but they are by far the best combination of hardware and software you will find. 8GB of ram should be a bare minimum... I eat up 16+ all day.  I try to stay AWAY from AMD processors etc. They are great but IMO intel is better. I would go for at least 2-4 cores and instead of looking for a huge spinning disk (normal hard drive) buy as big of an ssd as you can (I really like the samsung evos) and if you need more hard drive space you can add a spinning disk simply for storage (just adding an SSD to most systems is a night and day difference)

oh and whatever you do do NOT install windows 8!!!!!!