10mm DMX Testing

SlowerThanYou

Just out of curiosity , how much extra do billet cases run compared to stockers?

Well, there's more to that question than just a price..

I think most builders charge $400-600 to modify stock cases to accept a DM. Most also want a good set of cases to work off of. So you could potentially be out upwards of $600-800.

Billet cases are going for around $1800-2000 I think. I've seen them anywhere in that range..

Billet cases are about 12 pounds heavier than stock, but give you so much more protection it's not even funny.

For example, my crank broke in half at the dunes, I ran two passes like that and then put it away. Upon tear down there wasn't so much as a scratch in the cases. It didn't do a fucking thing to them. I am pretty confident that had those been stock cases, I would have fucked way more stuff up.

So, the way I look at it is, why spend up to $800 for something that can break really easily when I can spend $1800 on cases that are proven to be the best?

Well, there's more to that question than just a price..

I think most builders charge $400-600 to modify stock cases to accept a DM. Most also want a good set of cases to work off of. So you could potentially be out upwards of $600-800.

Billet cases are going for around $1800-2000 I think. I've seen them anywhere in that range..

Billet cases are about 12 pounds heavier than stock, but give you so much more protection it's not even funny.

For example, my crank broke in half at the dunes, I ran two passes like that and then put it away. Upon tear down there wasn't so much as a scratch in the cases. It didn't do a fucking thing to them. I am pretty confident that had those been stock cases, I would have fucked way more stuff up.

So, the way I look at it is, why spend up to $800 for something that can break really easily when I can spend $1800 on cases that are proven to be the best?

I like this explanation. Yeah, it's a lot of ching, but prolly worth it in the long run.

There seems to be an unknown about the weight difference between stock & billet. Some say 12-15 & some say 25 lbs heavier.

It doesn't matter to me, I can't afford even a 12 lb increase. I weigh 210-230 lbs depending on what surface we are racing on. I'm not fat, LOL! My competitors weigh 140-180 lbs & the 180 is stretching it. My quad weighs 310 lbs. (stock frame) my competitors chromoly custom frames weigh a lot less than ours.

That puts us at a 60-100 lb. disadvantage roughly, depending on the situation. So, even a 12 lb. increase if I believe that, is a big deal to our racing program.

There seems to be an unknown about the weight difference between stock & billet. Some say 12-15 & some say 25 lbs heavier.

It doesn't matter to me, I can't afford even a 12 lb increase. I weigh 210-230 lbs depending on what surface we are racing on. I'm not fat, LOL! My competitors weigh 140-180 lbs & the 180 is stretching it. My quad weighs 310 lbs. (stock frame) my competitors chromoly custom frames weigh a lot less than ours.

That puts us at a 60-100 lb. disadvantage roughly, depending on the situation. So, even a 12 lb. increase if I believe that, is a big deal to our racing program.

It's not an unknown at all. I know the difference, it is 12 pounds. My stock cased 10mm DM and billet cased 18mm DM were weighed on the same scale back to back. They were exactly 12 pounds apart.

case lightening, and Ti bolts close the weight gap ALOT, but also extend the $ difference (even though its REALLY spendy to put a DMX in stockers).... Im not saying they dont/wont work, but Ive seen DMX's in stock cases really struggle to live in stock cases.

It's not an unknown at all. I know the difference, it is 12 pounds. My stock cased 10mm DM and billet cased 18mm DM were weighed on the same scale back to back. They were exactly 12 pounds apart.

Doesn't matter, I can't afford the 12lb. penalty. I understand the +s of the billet, but 12lbs. additional weight is the #1 reason.