back fires at first kick HEEEEEEELP

booxzzy

Bought a banshee a year ago and never had any problems with it,till last ride.

Went for a ride 3 days ago and after 20 mins of riding i stopped to swap with my brother for bikes and when he tried to start it at first kick it back fired and at second it started running!

The same thing happened few times that day,not every time i started it but maybe every second or third time.

Bought fuel the same day,spark plugs look fine,and it back fires only at first kick.

I don't have a clue what could be the cause,don't know where to start...dirty carbs,old reed valves,bad fuel...

100% sure your flywheel came loose.

• 4 weeks later...

Backfires are almost always a sign of a timing issue. (it's sparking too far before Top Dead Center.) The CDI retards the timing on start-up. It's possible your CDI has gone bad....but it's more likely that your flywheel spun. It's happened to literaly every bike in our group at one time or another.

If your reved out, got off the gas and backloaded it hard....the flywheel wants to keep spinning but the crank doesn't. Next thing you know you roll the key.

Check that first before you go buying CDI'S and swapping stuff.

Let me know what you find.

Well CDI'S usualy totaly fail, not just the timing retard on start-up.

So if he rode the bike right up to his brother....then went to restart it and was getting backfires.......that tells me the flywheel spun while he was riding.

I'm not PROMISING that it's flywheel.

But he should check that FIRST before he starts looking at anything else because I see way too many people start swapping electrical stuff, when the signs point to a bike with the timing advanced....not failing.

Well CDI'S usualy totaly fail, not just the timing retard on start-up.

So if he rode the bike right up to his brother....then went to restart it and was getting backfires.......that tells me the flywheel spun while he was riding.

I'm not PROMISING that it's flywheel.

But he should check that FIRST before he starts looking at anything else because I see way too many people start swapping electrical stuff, when the signs point to a bike with the timing advanced....not failing.

i like this answer better :)