ebay swingarms

Tommygunn

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are guys on Blaster Forum who have broken those same swingarms.

There are guys on THIS forum who have broken them. 

ME. (+6)

Also had my buddy Bill's Ebnay arm broke the same way mine did. (+6) But he caught it in time to add a bunch of extra tabs and welds and was able to sell it off on Ebay.

If it's not a full chromoly model....stay away! If it's a round tube model that doesn't have re-enforcing gussets at the connection point to the carrier....stay away as well!

chromoly can break as well, as thin as some people build them. and i have seen pics of them break from some of these fabricators

Blah blah blah. Why are you still here? For as much as you talk shit on BansheeHQ, the members and the sponsors you sure do log on a lot.

And you're really one to mouth off about fabrication with your Stevie Wonder welds. Shut the fuck up and move on.

that swigrarm you got on ebay is a decent arm rich has and will always stand behind his work hes been around banshees longer then most people on this site hes sold hundreds of them 

One year warranty. Break it after that and the only people your going to see "standing behind you".......are the people taking pictures of your broken swing arm. (Been there....)

It's mild steel.

The round tube that the shock/dog bone mounts to is only welded to the inner part of the square tube. It develops cracks around that tube because it isn't welded to the inner and outer surfaces. So that pipe twists like a twist throttle. My welds held fine....but the metal around the pipe just tore! If you look at most of the chromoly arms out there....they have the shock mount tube pass all the way thru the main arm material and it's welded in two places on each side of the arm. Or they are a round tube to round tube connection and it's notched/birds mouthed at the weld point to add strength. Many also gusset that pipe as well. Add to that the fact that the flat metal plates that hold the factory carrier develop stress cracks from flexing left and right. My arm upon inspection after the failure showed 4 large stress cracks on the flat carrier mounts and the obvious broken shock mount tube.

As soon as I saw the familiar cracks in the powder coat/paint on my buddies swing arm, we removed it and saw the start of the same small cracks on his flat carrier plates. Rich was contacted regarding replacement, but the arm was out of warranty.... so my friend just welded extra gussets to prevent more twisting forces at the shock mount tabs...then rattle canned the thing with silver paint and passed it off on an Ebay sale.

I'm glad mine broke the way it did. (All it did was drop the bike like it had bottomed out on a jump. I was riding across flat dunes at the time.) But if a carrier mount had broken...the bike would have had the axle ripped to one side and it would have ended with a nasty crash. 

Real Words - no filter of friendship or loyalty. I bought it and was happy till the day it almost bit me. Don't get bit. Good Luck.

What's your point? They break. That's my point.

The bike I had it on was my dune bike. I'm not even talking about jumping type forces. It broke in sand! Yes I got 3 years out of it.....but most aren't expecting a swingarm to wear out faster than a set of tires.

If the square tube TEARS in a circle around the welds.......then however thick the metal is.....it's still too thin!

If you can't afford a chromoly swing arm....then you can't afford to be injured/hurt/laid up and or missing work.

If I know of 2 that broke in the exact same fashion......it can't be rare. ( we were both in our 40's so it's not like we are wild crazy young guys airing out on an MX track.)