How do sand paddles work in the snow?

Anthony133

get a shitty set of tires and just use some 1/2 or 3/4 inch hex head screws to stud the treads. put as many as you like, put them in "paddle-like" rows if you desire. ask some of the ice racing or xc guys that are always in the shoutbox.

studs are not going to do shit in a foot of snow... studs are ONLY good when your riding on ice or frozen ground and will go to shit if you touch road or gravel.

if your on a lake stud it... if your ripping in trails with snow... get proper snow tires. I would even run snow tires before studs if i ride the lake as much as the trails. those snow tires hook better then you think just dont go expecting too much on glare ice.

if you want stud your front tires that will give you the extra bite on ice stuff

also 1/2" screws are toos short and will rip out to easly.. you would want a 3/4" stud at the least.... I run 1.5" studs for ice racing

I would trust the Canadian on this one lol

They do not work for shit and they cover you in snow!

hmmm.. i personaly dont ride in the snow but a couple buddies of mine hill climb all winter long.. and they all run paddle tires?? i can see it being a little assy from side to side but as far as hooking up, id find it had to believe that a paddle tire could be out performed in SNOW! but like i said before, i really have zero experience with this! so i really dont even know why i chimed in! banghead

Edited by special06shee

I rode Little Saraha, OK the February before this one, right after 20" of snow blanketed the place...the paddles hooked up ok but the frame kept getting stuck in drifts :shootself: I think with 4 snows the paddles would have stayed on top a little better instead of digging in and bottoming out the frame.

paddles work but they will dig right to the ground.... as you can see in coal hills the coal isnt frozen cock stiff... the paddles are still able to dig in.

Like was mentioned... paddle tires are going to dig and keep digging until it finds traction..

a snow tire floats on snow and wont go digging trenches like a paddle tire. also.. a snow tire is 2ply and expands... a 4snow tire expands up to 40% bigger which give you a higher frame to ground clearance and more surface area of a tire touching for more traction.

Do what you wish but... a proper snow tire runs about 50-60$ each and will be durable for what you want.

ahh.. i see where your coming from! i was unaware that they made tires that could grow the much!! id like to see them in action!! id like to try them on the road, it would be like having an 8 speed trans!! :bolt:

• 4 years later...

Going digging I know but I wanted to chime in cause I searched and found this post. I just got back from ripping through my upper field and woods. I used 3/4 to 1/2 tread Cyclone paddle tires and they worked amazing. Very fun! If I goosed it in 3rd and leaned my fat ass back I could even lift the front tires! That's with a +4 swinger.