Truck caught on Fire

Rustynail

Was driving to ST. Joe, Missouri from Ottawa, KS...to look at a couple of banshee's..I was about an hour from home when i noticed my gauges going crazy and my alternator gauges was not charging...So as I was looking for a place to pull of the highway i saw a gas station. As i was getting off the ramp i started smelling something burning. I thought it was my serp belt....I pulled into a nearby shell station shut it off real quick...I jumped out and popped my hood to find my alternator and hood lining in flames....I grabbed a gatorade and energy drink to dump on the flames as i sent my GF inside for some water. I didnt have all the flames out and she was not back outside yet so i ran in and grabbed a cup of water also...as i came back to my truck i realized the front of my truck was about 4 feet from the propane cylinder exchange. :clap: A lady who saw the flames when i popped the hood called 911 even though i told her i had it under controll. I managed to get the flames out and my glowing red alternator cooled down before the police and huge fire truck showed up...I called O'reilys and they couldnt even bring an alternator to me!!! to avoid headaches and price of a cab i called my dad and he drove 1.5 hours to take me to the parts store where i bought a new alternator. We put it on and couldnt find any melted wiring so it started up and ran fine. I countinued my trip and came back with a new banshee but my 4 hour trip turned into a 9.5 hour trip...Oh well

Was driving to ST. Joe, Missouri from Ottawa, KS...to look at a couple of banshee's..I was about an hour from home when i noticed my gauges going crazy and my alternator gauges was not charging...So as I was looking for a place to pull of the highway i saw a gas station. As i was getting off the ramp i started smelling something burning. I thought it was my serp belt....I pulled into a nearby shell station shut it off real quick...I jumped out and popped my hood to find my alternator and hood lining in flames....I grabbed a gatorade and energy drink to dump on the flames as i sent my GF inside for some water. I didnt have all the flames out and she was not back outside yet so i ran in and grabbed a cup of water also...as i came back to my truck i realized the front of my truck was about 4 feet from the propane cylinder exchange. :clap: A lady who saw the flames when i popped the hood called 911 even though i told her i had it under controll. I managed to get the flames out and my glowing red alternator cooled down before the police and huge fire truck showed up...I called O'reilys and they couldnt even bring an alternator to me!!! to avoid headaches and price of a cab i called my dad and he drove 1.5 hours to take me to the parts store where i bought a new alternator. We put it on and couldnt find any melted wiring so it started up and ran fine. I countinued my trip and came back with a new banshee but my 4 hour trip turned into a 9.5 hour trip...Oh well

Pix of the banshee. Just wondering if it was worth it, haha. That sucks man. Glad it worked out

Wow that is crazy...i wonder how the fire started exactly? alt started to lock up then overheated and caught the hood lining on fire or something?

Yeah pretty much...but the alternator actually got so hot something inside of it caught on fire, which caught the lining on fire....there was no sqealling or anything....Of course it is a 6.5 turbo diesel so it is a loud motor...but i didnt hear anything.

My dads plow truck broke a trans line and sprayed all over exhaust manifold. Lit on fire in my driveway. Whole engine bay burned.

I have seen cars burn before and they go up in a hurry....I wish i would have pulled over on the side of the road instead of by the propane exchange so i could have let the pos burn.

ive seen two car fires while they were on a dyno. First one was a mustang.....popped a fuel line and sprayed right down on his headers while it was coming down in RPM from the run.......took 5 fire extinguishers to put the flames out.

The other car was a Shelby Cobro kit car......they shop owners were tuning it and it popped a fuel line also......only the flames got pushed backwards from the fan in front of the car........the same shop owner wound up laying over the stick and holding his face to the passenger seat as the flames came up and out the sides of the car and you could see the flames curl in towards the cab of the car. he had sort of an odd look from that day on whenever he had to get into a car on the dyno.....

• 10 months later...