First time polishing

chevybanshee91

Always wanted to make my bike look shinny, so I got a little ambition over the holiday weekend bought some polishing equipment and thought i would give it a try. I started off doing my silencers from the R2's and spent a few hours on them and all said and done they turned out somewhat decent for being a beginer at this whole thing. And right now im iin the process of doing my clutch cover as well. getting the paint off is the biggest pain in my A** right now because the stripper i was using wasn't cutting it. But when im done ill post some pics of the cover later on. Take a look and let me know what ya think or what i could do better on!

Before and After of the silencers

polihss.jpg

And Both of them done

polish.jpg

Well i spent the day doing my clutch cover and got it 99 percent done. Its not perfect or as good as some of the guys on here by any means, but i thought it turned out pretty good for being a first timer lol. Up close you can still see blemishes in the aluminum that i didnt sand good enough but all in all i think it will work for me.

007-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

004.jpg

005-1.jpg

001.jpg

Paint stripper, then wet sand, I used a little dawn dish soap not sure if it helped any but I used it start with 500 grain sand paper in one direction, 1000 grit paper oposite direction, and finally 1500 grit paper in the first direction. Make sure you sand till u can see the lines in the aluminum all goin the same direction with each paper, then I washed the part with hot water n dish soap and finally buffed it on a buffer with tripoli, wiped it clean, then used red rouge for final finish and wiped clean. ... is this the right way to do it probably not but it seemed to work ok for me! Hope this helps you, and take your time!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been getting the polishing bug too , I'll have to get set up to try it out . I'd love to polish my thumb throttle , Clutch cover , exhaust etc etc .

Yeah post up some pics of your equipment and maybe do a how to for us newbs that would like to learn .

Major Respect on that shine bro , Great Job .