Sign in to follow this  
THE358BANSH

v2.0

I figured it would be best to finally start my own thread where it belongs. I have a bunch of things I would like to do to my stuff this fall/winter, and I should be able to get an early start being as the trails closed yesterday. The rough list of needs and wants is below, and I am sure some things will be added in the future...

-Narrow style front frame geometry with CR500 rear shock/linkage

-11" of near bumpsteer free travel

-7.5" ride height

-True propeg mounts on frame

-Minus 1" or 2" rectangular chromoly swingarm

-Respring/revalve rear shock

-Swap front 3/2 offset wheel for 4/1 offset wheel

-New rear plastic

-Fresh seat cover

-Redo air filter routing

-Move electronics

-Slim down throttle body package/build or modify intake manifolds

-New exhaust

-New chain

-New sprockets

-New sprocket hub

-Paint/Powder/Chrome what I can for a new color scheme

I started on the frame here tonight. I thought it would be a good kickoff seeing as it's 11-1-11. The lower rails are basically finished except for two longitudinal gussets and welding, which should be done tomorrow night. I ordered the 90 degree gusset tabs for the a-arm mounts yesterday and they should be here on Thursday. The frame needs to be simple yet strong, so I upped the diameter of the lower rails but left the wall thickness the same. The whole plan is to have a chassis that comes in lighter and stronger than stock, but also lets things be more accessible. I'm not for sure what's up with the last picture, but the shadows make it look like there are huge gaps on the rectangular tube. I assure you that is not the case, as I wouldn't let that slide on anything including my own project. Let me know what you think! Evan

DSC02541.jpg

DSC02540.jpg

DSC02547.jpg

DSC02545.jpg

DSC02546.jpg

DSC02548.jpg

Edited by THE358BANSH

Looks like a great start. Very clean work as usual.

Thanks for the words guys! Working with new metal is so much nicer than dealing with old scaly shit. Anyways, I got the wishbone welded up tonight. I decided to leave out the two extra braces until I get the engine set in the chassis. If I can, I would like to integrate the new billet front motor mounts into those tubes. NYUK said I should have a mock up engine this week, so in the mean time I will try and get the upper frame rails and front suspension pickup points located. Later, Evan

DSC00141.jpg

DSC02551.jpg

DSC02555.jpg

DSC02556.jpg

DSC02561.jpg

DSC02559.jpg

DSC02562-1.jpg

I didn't get a chance to work on my stuff in the past few days so I hit it hard tonight for a few hours. The a-arm brackets arrived in the mail on Thursday, but I don't know if I really like them. The amount of material around the bolt is less than I anticipated, and it's not a constant size. Not really for sure what I am going to do about those yet. Anyone want to buy some nice never used brackets? I have sixteen of them...

I got the rear motor mount and upper crossmember built first tonight, the proceeded to bend the main frame rails. After that I built the support tube that connects under the steering hoop/radiator. Something I hate about the stock chassis is the front motor mounts and the two tubes on the outside of the expansion pipes. I upped the diameter of the tube and went to a single stanchion with two large diameter, but thin wall gussets. One other thing that I see could be improved is the the steering hoop/stem mount. I don't like how it's leaned so far back at an angle with no support and is easy to bend. That will be addressed in the near future by being a decent bit more vertical, having a gusset and also tying into crossmember above the single stanchion.

That's all I have for tonight boys, hope you like what you see. If you have any good ideas or thoughts to make this thing better don't hesitate to speak up! Evan

aa-588a.jpg

DSC02569-1.jpg

DSC02568.jpg

DSC02567-1.jpg

DSC02573.jpg

Shit looks good man. I am pretty amazed at the bending and notching of the tubing. That shit is pretty cool. Must be nice to have all this stuff at your disposal and the knowledge on how to use it. Can't wait to see this thing progress. :headbang:

Check out AA Mfg for your tabs. That's where I got all of my tabs for my sand rail.

That is where I got these from. I haven't found a 90 degree gusset tab for a 1" tube anywhere else so far. I may end up just cutting them out and bending them in the brake myself if I can't find what I like.

Shit looks good man. I am pretty amazed at the bending and notching of the tubing. That shit is pretty cool. Must be nice to have all this stuff at your disposal and the knowledge on how to use it. Can't wait to see this thing progress. :headbang:

Its funny you say that, because it is just like going to work for me. As for the tools, you can build your own bender that uses a common die for a few hundred dollars in materials if you have the time. We have a fairly large industrial notcher for most of the time, but for this project I am using a fancy version of a joint jigger. Sometimes I don't even bother with that, like on the two corner gussets for the middle support tube. A minute or so on the bandsaw to rough it out and then it gets finished using a 8" bench grinder.