Plug gap

under extreme conditions the gap can be too large, and the spark can actually blow out (like a candle) you close the gap up, so the spark has less gap to jump and doesnt blow out.

i dont know how extreme and banshee motor has to be, but some builders recommend a .024" gap. i ran them as they are out of the box.

A plug gapping tool can be had for less than $5. Obviously, they work well out of the box. I'm used to gapping the plugs in my supercharged mustang so the spark doesnt blow out, for the 23 seconds it takes, I'm good with doing it.

I'm just anal like that, the way I look at it is do you think top fuel dragsters run plugs out of the box? Not the exact context, just my frame of mind.

What can I say, I can tell the old lady I need to gap my plugs, grab some beer and she'll leave me alone for a couple hours!

From NGK's site, I got curious to see what they recommend:

3. Gapping

Since the gap size has a direct affect on the spark plug's tip temperature and on the voltage necessary to ionize (light) the air/fuel mixture, careful attention is required. While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for. Those with modified engines must remember that a modified engine with higher compression or forced induction will typically require a smaller gap settings (to ensure ignitability in these denser air/fuel mixtures). As a rule, the more power you are making, the smaller the gap you will need.

A spark plug's voltage requirement is directly proportionate to the gap size. The larger the gap, the more voltage is needed to bridge the gap. Most experienced tuners know that opening gaps up to present a larger spark to the air/fuel mixture maximizes burn efficiency. It is for this reason that most racers add high power ignition systems. The added power allows them to open the gap yet still provide a strong spark.

With this mind, many think the larger the gap the better. In fact, some aftermarket ignition systems boast that their systems can tolerate gaps that are extreme. Be wary of such claims. In most cases, the largest gap you can run may still be smaller than you think.

A plug gapping tool can be had for less than $5. Obviously, they work well out of the box. I'm used to gapping the plugs in my supercharged mustang so the spark doesnt blow out, for the 23 seconds it takes, I'm good with doing it.

I'm just anal like that, the way I look at it is do you think top fuel dragsters run plugs out of the box? Not the exact context, just my frame of mind.

What can I say, I can tell the old lady I need to gap my plugs, grab some beer and she'll leave me alone for a couple hours!

From NGK's site, I got curious to see what they recommend:

3. Gapping

Since the gap size has a direct affect on the spark plug's tip temperature and on the voltage necessary to ionize (light) the air/fuel mixture, careful attention is required. While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for. Those with modified engines must remember that a modified engine with higher compression or forced induction will typically require a smaller gap settings (to ensure ignitability in these denser air/fuel mixtures). As a rule, the more power you are making, the smaller the gap you will need.

A spark plug's voltage requirement is directly proportionate to the gap size. The larger the gap, the more voltage is needed to bridge the gap. Most experienced tuners know that opening gaps up to present a larger spark to the air/fuel mixture maximizes burn efficiency. It is for this reason that most racers add high power ignition systems. The added power allows them to open the gap yet still provide a strong spark.

With this mind, many think the larger the gap the better. In fact, some aftermarket ignition systems boast that their systems can tolerate gaps that are extreme. Be wary of such claims. In most cases, the largest gap you can run may still be smaller than you think.

Listen to this man

whatever they are outta the box it the way of the fast!!