painting shock body not spring.

smokin 2 stroke

Im in the process of rebuilding my banshee frame just got powder coated etc, i have some yfz450 shocks i wanna get the springs PC'd black and paint the shock body to match a set of elka shocks just for looks. how would the paint hold up to the shock body

Just FYI... I no longer will powdercoat YFZ450 springs, because I have never found anything to remove the old powder. It is nearly indestructible, and I think whatever shop you take it to, will end up charging you an arm and a leg to remove the old powder. You might be better off getting rid of those terrible springs, and upgrading to the dual rate kit anyways for what it will cost you to powder the stock ones. Just my opinion...

Also, regarding the shock bodies, I've never painted any, so I don't know how it would hold up, but I HAVE powdercoated a set of 450 bodies. It was very labor intensive, but came out awesome.

LOL, yeah that stuff is tuff! You can get it off by sandblasting, but you gotta have a high pressure tank (not a cheapie siphon feed) and it will take awhile. I am sure there are other ways too, but thats what Ive done in the past. I dont see any problems with painting the shock bodies myself. Just make sure they are really clean, and atleast scuff them up with a scotch brite pad.

i sandblasted them my self, took about 20 minutes each. but do you guys think it will cheesy if i make them look like elkas ?

Really? Can I send you all the springs I powdercoat? Lol. It's only about 40 or so a week. Hope you can keep up.

I think it's kinda cheesy, yeah, but everyone's got their own idea of what they like. It'll be unique, definitely. I think if you want elks, you should buy elkas. Just my opinion, buy since those shocks aren't really anything of value, give it a shot and see what it looks like.

I painted a set of shock bodies before and the help up great. Now I have a set of polished 450 shocks with powdered springs. My buddy is still rocking his painted shocks( both springs and body) and they have held up great.