Crankshaft Rebuild Walkthrough

BansheeDFW

I'm not confident enouph yet to offer out services on cranks yet , let me guinea pig my boys and myself first , , tricked I would love to do it full time but I'm a local3 electrician with a little over 15 yrs in I can't throw that away plus health beni and retirement I'm ok with that. One day maybe I'll take the plunge. I'm busy as fuck as it is with motor work . Around by me a shop would be at least 6 g a month rent , I couldn't compete with prices some of these other builders throw out knowing time incolved . As soon as I'm up to par on crank assemblies you guys will be first to know

• 3 weeks later...

crank rebuilding is not nearly as hard as you think ( at least i didnt think it was)  if you have a phase jig and press your already there.  if you have or know someone with a lathe just make up the set spacers or you can also just go by hand. or you can even set up and make a set on a belt sander.    i have done a lot of them by hand that way  you have to get a feel for your press and after some practice you will know just how hard to push to get it to move so far.  just rember there is a range of size not just this and thats it  if you get way to critical you will spend days just setting the side to side play in the big end.  spacers and stops help a lot but differnt width webbs, rods, and thrust washers will sometimes get you into trouble as well. getting the wobble out of them will be your biggest challenge unless you build an intricate purpose only jigg setup with assembly stops. etc.    the phasing is super important on race motors as is true and straight webb  sections. everything i have pretty much learned by just doing it and looking at information i could find on the net.  there is not much out there as far as just straight up info on doing 2-3 cyl cranks.  i also built a bunch of specialized jiggs for dissasembly and reassembly  i personally charge 100.00 to disasemble and reassemble all the way down to inner bearings. your never going to get rich on crank work.   

that was one hell of a score on the crank jig if its one i bet it is!!

Hell yeh cam I can't beleive this guy owns a jet ski performance shop and had no idea what they were , he was in desperate need of pills and I wanted tools win win for me. I ordered shims for valve springs they come in a variety of sizes . I don't think it's that hard either nor do I plan on doing it to make a ton of money but it's nice to have and knowing the guy who had the crank jigs before him it was worth it

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...