yfz frame conversion

finally some progress..

got the dual in dual out exhaust silencer done.. and pipe mounts done. hopefully it has that "indy car" sound.. thats what i'm shooting for plus i think if the exhaust is in the stock location its just cooler.

here are some pics..

100_0448.jpg

100_0449.jpg

100_0450.jpg

100_0451.jpg

100_0452.jpg

to get the pipes to look right takes a lot of work. lots of frame modifications and radiator changes. i dont care about how much work it is i want it to look good when i'm done or at least custom and not jsut a pile of parts welded together..

ha ha i should cover up the intake on this motor when i take pics... these were some big bore junk cylinders i got and was practice welding on them. also i did a lil practice intake stuff to see how far i could go before they broke out.. and also practiced the boost port sizes on them as well. they are just on this motor fo r mockup. the engine has no internals on it at all except a shift shaft, kicker, and output shaft with sproket on it. i prefer to use an actual motor for mocking instead of a jig or a fully built motor. its much easier to remove something that weighs about 20- 30 lbs..

Cam, what would stop a guy from cutting out the lower frame rails between the motor and the a-arm mounts and fabbing up two tubes right next to each other to make room for different types of pipes? I haven't looked that closely at it in person, but it doesn't look like there's anything that would stop you from doing that is there?

it wouldnt be that bad. the main what i call structure tube come at an angle down and then the oil tank mount, motor mount is right there also. thats the smaller tube that comes off of that those are the area that make normal banshee pipes not fit for shit, plus the oem radiator is right there as well. to try and straddle the radiator makes the pipes stick out a long ways, the biggest problem is the upper a-arm mounts need some support.. the other pipes i had here i test fitted and they wouldnt take that much modifications to make work ok. the way i did it here most out frame pipes fit fine so for a decent dune drag frame these would be fun to have.. just something differnt than a stock heavy ass banshee frame..

the next one will have the nose stretched quite a ways.. i will be making a frame jig for that one to hold the front in place. if i could find another roller i think after the jig is made i can try and chop the whole lower section off and try just remaking the tubes. about a 1" nose stretch would probably fit any aftermarket pipe and keep them from wacking the upper a-arms.. and that short of a stretch shouldnt really mess with the geo that much

good idear loco!!

if this one turns out well i will be doing these for people if they want. but of course it will all be custom one off's.

Bad ass man. The conversions I have seen all have pipes that stick out a mile. I can't wait to see that thing with some plastics on it the pipes look like they will be fine right there. Good luck to you man. I think there is a market for you hopefully you can make some money with it. Hell if you get it down sign me up for one I can't stand riding my other shee with the stock frame.

• 1 month later...

i'm going to work on it more this weekend i'll put up some pics with the fenders on it its flat out sweet.. i'm using one off fullbore's but if i do these all the time they will be using fullbore or laker one piece only.

Cam, you did a awesome job here, glad to see you werent afraid to cut shit out, those down tubes are usually a concern.

Can you snap some pictures of the front were you re-enforced the upper a-arms.

Post some pictures with the plastics on for us!!!

This is by far the cleanest conversion ive seen thus far :headbang:

Im curious, would a aftermarket rear shock that doesnt have the rezzi mounted to it, make the pipes fit easier?

• 2 weeks later...

looking good cam, What is your plan as far as intake? i got an aftermarket shock with remote resi. and just have some 5" pods on mine. seeing your frame modifications makes me want to take mine back apart and redo the motor mounts. keep us updated with pics. some time im gonna have to bring mine out there and you can give me some better ideas. good to know what radiators i can run to help get the pipes higher, that was the biggest problem with getting my pipes on. they stick out but dont hit the front suspension through the entire travel.