pilot jet

aleyesonme

hello...i was wondering how significant is the pilot jet to throttle response.....reason being is cause ive been doing some reading and so i checked my main jet and it had a 310..fanstastic in powerband just starts off sluggish. and i noticed that the pilot jet was a 25 which is stock. and i have mods so i was wondering could just the pilot jet cause a response issue..thanks

1-1.gif on the 27.5's and drop your needle clips one notch to 4th pos down from the top (richer). You can get pilot jets off of ebay or from Jets-r-us:

http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/jets_mikuni_VM22-210_pilot.htm

Get the #27.5's and set your air screws to 1.5 turns out from the bottom. Adjust them 1/8th of a turn each (at-a-time) to get an nice even idle. If you need to turn them back in more than a full turn, go to #30 pilots and start over with the air screws again. Once you've got it idling really nice, your off-idle to mid needs to be adjusted by the needle clips. Ideally, you should do a mid-range plug chop but if the 27.5's work out for you, your clip position (4) is probably close enough, but you can try pos. 5 (even richer mid) depending on which way you had to go with the air bleeds ( remember out is leaner and in is richer) if you had to go in close to a full turn, you probably NEED to go to position 5 on your clips. etc... You should also be able to squeeze your throttle really slowly from off-idle to mid with no "Gaps" in the response. Above all, BE PATIENT it may take you 1/2 a day to get it right.

I've always ran stock pilots on my banshee with no issues.

I don't really know if it makes a difference, but I ride at 5,000 feet above sea level....... Never had much of an issue. I've thought about changing to a 27.5, but didn't want to be too rich :shrugani:

Lower altitude means DENSER air so you need more fuel (bigger jets) to compensate. At 5000 ft., you probably don't need 27.5's

Edited by muggzy

That was great info just what I needed. And looking for...I found some individual jets on ebay and ordered 27.5s.. hopefully I won't have to adjust the needles...not quite sure how to do that... thanks again all for the advice and help...soon as I get em in ill keep u updated...thanks again..

Well fellow members...my 27.5 pilots came in today and put em in...only to have the same problem that I had before...I was so hoping not to...but is it just me or does the hole in the 27.5 and 25 look exactly the same size?

They are very close and you may not be able to see the dif. Do the numbers on the sides confirm the sizes? And have you synchronized your carbs? I suggest you get a Banshee Clymer's manual. it's the best $30 you"ll ever spend. If anyone acts like it's beneath them/you, Fuk em. It'll give you pic-by-pic steps to do this and many other things.

payAttention.gif Pilot jets control the Low 1/4 throttle range, needle clip controls the middle 1/2, and the main does the top 1/4 (there's significant overlap) but it sounds like most of your bottom range is off. (25's are def too small for your mods and altitude)

OK, did you set your air screws to 1.5 turns out from the bottom? I'm guessing you should tweek them in from there 1/8th of a turn at-a-time each to start (richer) b/c you're mains are 310's but if it gets worse or no better (in the bottom 1/4 range of throttle), go the other way to get really good Idle and off-idle response.

To get to the needle clips, you need to take the slides out of the carb tops. Inside the slides, you'll see two small Phillips head screws, remove them and remove the retainer bracket and you'll be able to lift out the needle. Gently lift the needle out of the slide. Move the C-clip down one position from the blunt end (pos. 4) and then put it all back. If you had to go leaner (out) on the air screws, then you should probably go UP a notch on the clip (leaner).

You may actually be too rich on the main and may have to go down to 290 or even 280 jets. You can (should) actually do plug chops in each range. But most only do the hi range.

Again, get the Clymer's manual.

Muggzy

Edited by muggzy

They are very close and you may not be able to see the dif. Do the numbers on the sides confirm the sizes? And have you synchronized your carbs? I suggest you get a Banshee Clymer's manual. it's the best $30 you"ll ever spend. If anyone acts like it's beneath them/you, Fuk em. It'll give you pic-by-pic steps to do this and many other things.

payAttention.gif Pilot jets control the Low 1/4 throttle range, needle clip controls the middle 1/2, and the main does the top 1/4 (there's significant overlap) but it sounds like most of your bottom range is off. (25's are def too small for your mods and altitude)

OK, did you set your air screws to 1.5 turns out from the bottom? I'm guessing you should tweek them in from there 1/8th of a turn at-a-time each to start (richer) b/c you're mains are 310's but if it gets worse or no better (in the bottom 1/4 range of throttle), go the other way to get really good Idle and off-idle response.

To get to the needle clips, you need to take the slides out of the carb tops. Inside the slides, you'll see two small Phillips head screws, remove them and remove the retainer bracket and you'll be able to lift out the needle. Gently lift the needle out of the slide. Move the C-clip down one position from the blunt end (pos. 4) and then put it all back. If you had to go leaner (out) on the air screws, then you should probably go UP a notch on the clip (leaner).

You may actually be too rich on the main and may have to go down to 290 or even 280 jets. You can (should) actually do plug chops in each range. But most only do the hi range.

Again, get the Clymer's manual.

Muggzy

I can't tell u enough how much I thank u for taking the time to explain to me everything, everyone else as well but especially muggzy.... Ok anway no I didn't turn my screws in and back out 1.5 turns because my midrange to top end is superb!! I didn't wanna go messing with other stuff and mess around and get those messed up...so I was assumimg by it running so good in those 2 areas that all I would have to do is change the pilot to get mor fuel on the bottom...but you're saying to go ahead and do as u suggested with the air screws and see what happens...will do... btw I do have a manual..its not a clymers..I noticed in this one that the pics are very blurry...guessing the clymers is better... and one more thing with all I said should I go ahead and try to adjust the airscrews even if it runs well on the mid and top...just wanna be sure..thanks.

The air screw only effects idle- 1/4 throttle. typically if you have to turn it more than a turn in from 1.5 turns you go leaner on the pilot, if more than a turnout go richer on the pilot.

YeahThat.gif I think i said this in a previous post but remember, the air screws are opposite what you may be used to on a four stroke. Closing them makes it richer and opening makes it leaner. You won't affect your upper end at all by adjusting them. Don't forget, if you close those screws more than a full turn, you'll have to got to the next size up (#30) pilot jets. Glad to help :headbang:

Oh, yeah the pics in the Clymer's manual are pretty good.

Edited by muggzy

YeahThat.gif I think i said this in a previous post but remember, the air screws are opposite what you may be used to on a four stroke. Closing them makes it richer and opening makes it leaner. You won't affect your upper end at all by adjusting them. Don't forget, if you close those screws more than a full turn, you'll have to got to the next size up (#30) pilot jets. Glad to help :headbang:

Oh, yeah the pics in the Clymer's manual are pretty good.

Ok..since u stated that adjusting the air screws won't generally mess with my upperend then ill get right to it...and great advice about going in and out on the airscrews...seems to be a very valuble peice of info...well I have to work 7 to 7 all weekend so it won't be till Monday before I try anything...AGAIN I THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE INFO...I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT...but ill get back to this post on Monday after I do the adjustments...to share the results...thanks again...stay tuned..ha