EFI

THE358BANSH

i really like those filter 'adapters" i had a HELL of a time welding stainless the other night i dont know what the hell i did wrong! i cannot get the bead that small. unless i dont use filler it looks ok on small test strips i have been prcaticing on but dang the round stuff is driving me nuts..

Most of the time for doing any tubing/exhaust work my setup goes like so. Practice makes perfect as they say. And BTW Cam, thanks for the "official" project title...

1/16" Gas lens

#7 cup

1/16" 2% Thoriated tungsten

.035" Filler wire, alloy dependent on base material

Backpurged with 100% Argon

I ended up buying another pump since this jagoff is just jerking my chain. I hate people with a passion. I got the new pump installed on Saturday, and started to retune being as I have more volume and pressure now. I made a few logs yesterday, and a couple more tonight. Making progress every time it goes out, it keeps getting cleaner and more crisp.

I have gotten a few PMs about the Electrosport 250w stator with dual lighting outputs, and converting it to DC use. I was planning on doodling a wiring diagram to show how everything was wired. If you guys would like, I will get on it and post up a picture... Lates, Evan

Well, here is the diagram. At a minimum this is what is needed to be done to use the 250w ElectroSport stator in a DC system. It's really not that complicated, just two separate systems until after the pair of reg/rec when they join into one. I did not include wire sizes or fuses, mainly because where stuff is mounted will determine all of that. I know some people like to run a relay, in this case two, on the yellow lighting output wire as a charging relay of sorts. Different strokes for different folks, just use some common sense when doing it and it will probably turn out fine.

On to the next order of business. I have been making great progress with the tune in the last two nights. I only have one issue right now with an intermittent low end bog, but I think I know what I need to do to get rid of it. Pictures below are from my last rip outside tonight. New plugs, 1-6 gears wot, 13.0 AFR +-2 tenths in the left hole through the entire run, cutting the ignition at the end. Before I continue any farther, I am going to either take a degree of timing out of the left hole or add another to the right to true the holes up. I haven't really decided which to do yet, but I am leaning towards adding one to the right hole.

Right now the engine runs really well up to 10200 in each gear. Using some math, that comes out to just under 80 mph with my fat ass and 18" tires. This thing plain shits and gets! It runs hard all over, and as soon as I get the bottom cleaned up it'll be awesome... Evan

DSC02135.jpg

DSC02132.jpg

DSC02133.jpg

DSC02134.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So...I had all good intentions of getting a new video for all you people tonight. Got the camera and suction cupped it to the helmet, warmed the quad up, hit the button and went for a five or so minute ride. I came back and pulled into the shop, reached up to hit the button to stop recording only to find I no longer had a camera on top of my helmet! :o Forty-five minutes later, I find the camera wedged in a snow bank a half mile down the road from the driveway. I just checked the video, but when it fell off it corrupted the data so no video for you tonight. I'll try tomorrow or Sunday to get another little update. Evan

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates?

A few yeah. I have been playing with the tune for a few rides now and it's coming along great. A few weeks ago we had some awesome weather so I took it for a beating without the computer. Ran awesome for about 15 minutes or so, then idling around the driveway it lost the right hole. I limped it back to the shop and was pissed so I went back to work. After a few days of it sitting there, I decided to go back after it. Started it and the right hole would fire intermediately. I pulled the plugs and they looked fine, but I replaced them anyways to no avail. I swapped the plug wires and coil wires to rule out the coil being junk, still acted the same. Compression check came in at 175L/172R. I put everything back together and ran it again in the shop. Sometimes the right cylinder would fire, sometimes not. It rev'd fine when the right hole would hit, and then barely idle a few seconds later. I pulled the filters and started it again. Without the filters when I would crack the throttle, there was a pronounced fuel/air vapor that would come out of the throttle body on the right but not the left. I got a long screwdriver to move the CV slide down on the left hole and opened the throttle to see everything fine. On the right cylinder I opened the throttle blade to see I was missing the top reed petal from my VF3s. I figured all the time beating on them with them being a few years old weakened them enough and when I was putting around it just had enough and broke.

That has been the highlight of what has gone on lately. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to purchase a set of replacement petals because I am getting the racecar ready for the upcoming season which starts next week, so that has taken priority. I figure in the next week or so I'll get back on it after I get some rest from the mad thrash. I figured I'd toss up a picture for all the horsepower junkies on here...Evan

DSC01546.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

D-day is in a few hours boys and girls. I got the replacement petals installed and took it for a little ride here tonight and all feels well. That means tomorrow we will hit Dusty Trails atv park in Suring, Wi for hopefully a full day of beating the piss out of the quad. Wish me luck!

I managed to bring it back in one piece! The day went extremely smooth, I was expecting for it to leave me stranded at least once. Temps were in the high 70s and low 80's, nice and sunny. Motor ran awesome for the short amount of riding and tuning time that I had on it previously. Got there early and did some light riding to warm it up and then took a few logs. I mainly worked on the area when it was on the pipe to start, then concentrated on the light throttle and cruise. Every little bit I would pull the plugs for a look and then make a change accordingly. The oxygen sensor worked flawlessly the entire day, it told me everything I wanted to see and everything I didn't! As of now, I have no regrets about the entire fuel injection swap.

The electrical system using the ElectroSport 250w deal and twin regulator/rectifiers is also working well. I left the ignition on the night before while testing some things, and the battery was almost dead at 11.9 volts when we left. With all the starting and stopping while tuning and relaxing, the battery regained to a 12.6 volt state which is just short of full charge.

All in all I am super excited to go out again in two weeks. I have two more spots in the tune I want to address, one being a rich portion when it's coming onto the pipe and the second being a lean area under hard deceleration. I know it's hard to see, but she's on there behind all the 4-strokes... Later, Evan

DustyTrails.jpg

• 1 month later...

Man that is a sweet turbo setup you have! How much boost? What's it going in?

Sounds like you are getting that shee pretty dialed in man good work. I have mine running real strong as well. Its been a big learning curve to get the injection to work right for me.