EFI

THE358BANSH

Well, it's going to happen. I am not happy with my current setup, the Lectrons had a tiny fuel dribble I could never get rid of and even with different springs the throttle was stiffer than a wedding night prick. I have been toying with this idea for a few years now, and just never bit the bullet 'til now. After checking in on Loboboys setup recently, it got me thinking again. Anyways, I'll list below everything I can think of that pertains to the project to get this thread started. These are most of the pictures I have for now. The fuel pump and lines are mounted and done, I just don't have pictures of those at the moment...Evan

Microsquirt management for full fuel and ignition control

36-1 custom trigger wheel using the stock Banshee VR pickup

Innovate LC1 O2

LS2 Corvette coils

03-04 R6 throttle bodies with sensors and injectors

03-04 R6 intake manifold boots

LTR450 fuel pump

LTR450 throttle cable

ElectroSport 250w stator

Deka Etx-9 battery

Custom battery box

DC conversion

Trail-tech regulator/rectifier

P6130005.jpg

P6130006.jpg

DSC01935.jpg

DSC01939.jpg

DSC01934.jpg

DSC01946.jpg

DSC01928.jpg

DSC01933.jpg

DSC01931.jpg

DSC01930.jpg

DSC01938.jpg

DSC01947.jpg

DSC01948.jpg

DSC01942.jpg

DSC01940.jpg

keep the info coming ive been looking at this fo a while your just this far ahead of me you sure you dont want to go direct injection?

Edited by Meat
Please don't quote 189 pictures

keep the info coming ive been looking at this fo a while your just this far ahead of me you sure you dont want to go direct injection?

There are a few issues with direst injection. First is the amount of fuel pressure required to overcome the compression stroke of the piston. Secondly, if you are doing "true" direct injection where the fuel is injected after the all the intake, transfer, and exhaust ports are closed the crankshaft and wrist pin bearings have basically no lubrication. Those are my thoughts, and I may be way off base but those two reasons are enough for me not to want to bother with it...Evan

go back and delete the pics. its fucking annoying to see the same ones a dozen times because you think you need to quote everything.

I definately like the setup. you have thought this out.

i dont think you would need po off pressre for a jetski carb on injection?

have you taked to gigot about this? ( stall worth uses gigot for the work he does with injection) lobo's was all done at gigots

why not use a non slide TB/ i think i have a set of newer r-1 TB's i was thinking the same thing.

what did you do with the lectrons??

Man thats cool but a shit ton of work and for what? When its all up and going what will the advantage be over a well tuned carbed Banshee? Not knocking it but just curious.

More than anything it's a different way to get the same results. If the EFI and carb are tuned exceptionally well there really wont be any power to be had. I am more looking for the part throttle circuits that most carbs aren't seamless through. The EFI will get a crank pulse every ten degrees of rotation, so transient fueling and ignition strategies will be that much more controlled. Last on the list is the ignition control. Complete control of advance in respect to rpm, tps, map, and other things will just add to the awesomeness. Two separate coils provide sequential firing instead of wasted spark, increasing dwell time and ignition current as a by product. Add that to the things mentioned in the first post, and that's how I ended up where I am at now. Plus I like to mess with stuff...

Have you talked to Gigot about this? ( stall worth uses gigot for the work he does with injection) lobo's was all done at gigots

why not use a non slide TB/ i think i have a set of newer r-1 TB's i was thinking the same thing.

what did you do with the lectrons??

I have not really talked to anyone about this being as most of my experience with EFI comes through the shop. Almost all of the different companies units are extremely alike with just a small special feature here and there. As for the throttle bodies, these should work and fit the price at only 44 bucks shipped with all the sensors and injectors. We will see how the CV slides work, and if all else fails I may end up building a set of slide stops to lock them out. Lectrons are tucked away in the toolbox, haven't really decided what to do with them yet...

I got done a decent bit today. Nothing really exceptional, but had to get it done none the less. While parts were washing in the hot tank I decided to do a few trans mods. First on the list was to rollerize the shiftcam. While rebuilding a DA sander a while ago I found a bearing sized close to what I thought would work. I turned the end of the shift cam down in the lathe so the bearing pressed on. Unfortunately, the o.d. of the bearing was about .080" larger than the hole in the case so I ended up boring the hole to accept the bearing. This thing is butter smooth, spin it by hand and it just keeps going and going. Next was the little eccentric deal that adjusts the shift shaft claw. Mine for some odd reason was new, but still sucked. I could turn the screw and the shift shaft would barely move. Anyways I just cut the screw, then moved the cut portion away from the centerline and rewelded it on. I'm sure most everyone knows to mod the shift star, but for some odd reason I never got around to until today.

After doing the trans mods I checked true and phasing on the crank. Then washed everything again and put the trans and cases back together. I remembered to snap some pictures of the fuel system and other junk too. The pump is mounted on the stock LTR bracket that I modified to mount on the crossmember below the tank. The fuel pump is pretty neat, in that it is actually inside aluminum housing and uses the housing as kind of a sump to keep head pressure all the time. Being as the pump and throttle bodies came with fuel lines, the entire high pressure side of the fuel system has these trick little factory quick disconnect couplers now. The line that goes up between the frame and tank is a vent for the pump housing to purge air though, and will also serve as the return line from the fuel pressure regulator. I was kind of bummed that I was going to have to get rid of my Pingle tank outlet because of the single pump inlet. I really wanted a shutoff just incase I have to take the tank off also. So I tried taking the outlets out of the valve and it turns out they are just pressed in. Happens to be that a 7/16ths freeze plug fits perfect to block off one side of the Pingle valve. Problem solved.

I also included a picture of the coils and regulator/rectifier now that everything showed up. Let me know what you guys think! Damn three paragraphs, do I type too much? Too many pictures? Later, Evan

DSC01949.jpg

DSC01951.jpg

DSC01954.jpg

DSC01955.jpg

DSC01957.jpg

DSC01959.jpg

DSC01956.jpg

DSC01963.jpg

Edited by THE358BANSH

Man thats cool but a shit ton of work and for what? When its all up and going what will the advantage be over a well tuned carbed Banshee? Not knocking it but just curious.

I know the microsquirt doesnt have a map sensor built in but you can run an external i believe. With that and the IAT, it will altitude and temperature correct. So basically perfect jetting all the time anywhere. I belive you will see an increase in fuel economy as well which will be nice on these pigs

I know the microsquirt doesnt have a map sensor built in but you can run an external i believe. With that and the IAT, it will altitude and temperature correct. So basically perfect jetting all the time anywhere. I belive you will see an increase in fuel economy as well which will be nice on these pigs

That would be the shit wouldnt it. A step up from the dial a jet. It would be the ultimate setup for the guys running Pikes Peak.