making a xc banshee

brob4

hi everyone , ive just bought a 2002 yamaha banshee and i rode 4 strokes since 8 years , my friend just tell me to try two stokes and i love the banshee,

i dont really know how they work perfectly , since i had my banshee i wanted to build a xc bike , but i dont really know what to put to build a bike that will be reliable and fun

to ride for xc and small mx track

please give some advise

thank you !

Rob

I'd do suspension 1st! Good set of front shocks and +2+1 arms, extended rear axle. Then some pipes, k&n, +4 timing, coolhead, mod the reed cages with aftermarket reeds, porting and so on.

Are you wanting to race XC or just like woods/trail recreational riding?

I'd do suspension 1st! Good set of front shocks and +2+1 arms, extended rear axle. Then some pipes, k&n, +4 timing, coolhead, mod the reed cages with aftermarket reeds, porting and so on.

Are you wanting to race XC or just like woods/trail recreational riding?

1-the principal use of the bike will be trail and recreational riding , maybe some ice race

2-for now the only thing that worry me is all about jetting , for now i have fmf gold series pipes , and durablue air filter , ive install 260 jet for winter and when ive got the bike the carbs have 220 ,some tells me 260 is enough and other ones tell me there is not enough

3-i run the engine with klotz for 40:1 ratio and the bike have 2 br8es spark plugs , and i dont know why but ,the bike burn a lot of them does br8eix will be better?

4-does boost bottles are good improvments ? what is the effect of this part ?

Sounds like ur on the right track, although u shouldn't be burning those plugs like that. That boost bottle does nothing for you, and can actually crack your intakes. I'd look a a stock crossover tube, or get some intakes with the non-crossover.

now i think im on the right way , is there someone try the trinity simgle carb ? i read that this mod gives more low / mid power delivery ?

I personally ran a single carb setup and did not like it. To me, smaller dual carbs feel just as torquey down low while pulling harder in the upper end of the spectrum. But, if you're curious to try it I believe Chariot machines a 2-into-1 manifold which is a lot cheaper than Trinity's rip off.

Don't buy anything from Trinity man, there's a post on here about there poor customer service and on top of that they're expensive. Buy from a site sponsor when possible, also ditch the boost bottle. They're junk. And stick with your stock carbs, 2-1 is junk. Your basically chokin the engine up by using only one carb. Search around here and look at different topics. ALOT of useful info on this site.

• 1 month later...

hi everyone , ive just bought a 2002 yamaha banshee and i rode 4 strokes since 8 years , my friend just tell me to try two stokes and i love the banshee,

i dont really know how they work perfectly , since i had my banshee i wanted to build a xc bike , but i dont really know what to put to build a bike that will be reliable and fun

please give some advise

thank you !

Rob

I built my Banshee for pretty much the same type of riding and racing your doing and I think it turned out pretty good. Over everything else I wanted my Banshee to be reliable and comfortable to ride. I'm not sure where you live or how the XC Guy's cut your Courses but this is how I set my Banshee up. My Banshee was notorious for over heating when it was stock, so the first thing I did was research and add cooling mods. I ended up going with a Mod-Quad Billet Water Pump Impeller, a 30% bigger Aluminum Radiator, Billet in-line Coolers, and a Trinity Cool head with 20cc Domes.

As far as your exhaust and Carburetor jetting it sounds to me like you might be running a little on the lean side, I don't know what the problem is with your plugs I'm sure one of these guys on here can help you trouble Shoot that. I run the NGKR-BRE8IX Iridium Plugs in my bike and I haven't fouled one yet. I tried mine out several different ways and this was the set up that I liked the best with the stock Carbs.

Stock air box with lid on and snorkel off.

$5 Ready Performance Foam Air Filter.

Stock Carbs with Motion Pro T.O.R.S. Delete Kit, Vito's Stage III Jet Kit (290 Main Jets, and #30 Pilots).

Boyesen Power Reeds in Billet Cages.

Paul Turner Mid's/Fat Boy Silencers.

That set up really woke my Banshee up in addition to the .020 punch, Hot Rods Crank, +4 degrees Timing, and Wiseco Pro-Lite Aluminum Pistons. I have a tone of low end torque that helps me scoot through the woods at high speeds. to tell the truth maybe a little more than I wanted when I was running a 13 tooth sprocket up front. I switched to that sprocket for more low end power right after I got my Banshee and it was all Stock. After I completed my build the 13 tooth was holding me back. All my Banshee did was spin, then after it did hook the power band was way to short. I ended up going with a 15 tooth up front and I didn't notice any loss of bottom end power. If I hadn't found such a good deal on a set of like new Paul Turner Mids/Fat Boy Silencers I think I would have bought a set of Chrome Plated R2 "ROCKET PIPES" from everything I've read there one bad pipe set up and they sound unbelievable. I'm not sure on this and I know some one will call me out on it but I've herd the R2's are beneficial and make power through out the entire Power Band Low/Mid/High Range. I think those pipes would aid my set up just as well if not better than the PT Pipes.

If your going to Race Hare Scrambles comfort and protection is very important, so you need to make sure your bike is set up and comfortable for you, your size, and weight, and add those mods like Skid Plates and frame Guards to protect your bike. I added DG, and Qualex Custom Baja Series Skid Plates, Frame Guards, Rear Bumper, Front Bumper, Six Pack Rack, and Fat Series Nerf Bars to my Banshee and they have protected my bike and held up great. As far as Comfort probably one of the best mods I have put on my Banshee so far is a Streamline Hydraulic Clutch Lever. After I added my performance upgrades I started slipping mt Barnett Dirt Digger Clutch, I shopped around and ended up buying a Drive-Line Heavy Duty Trail and Track Clutch Kit and put it inside of my Billet Barnett Clutch Basket. After I did that I didn't have any issues with the clutch slipping but the pull was so stiff. It would take it out of you in just a couple of hours casual riding. So I knew before I hit the XC Course I had to do something. I ended up biting the bullet and buying the $170.00 Hydraulic Clutch Lever/ Billet Slave Cylinder and it made a huge difference! The Item Description said it would soften the pull by 30% but I think it did much more for me. I don't think I would be able to run my currant 15/42 gearing if I didn't have it. By running a higher gear ratio it required me to milk my clutch a little more when I'm in the woods, and my arm would have been cramped 15-20 minutes into the race.

And I guess in order to really be competitive a upgraded Suspension is a must. I run Full Flight +3+1 a arms (FOR YFZ-450SE Shocks), YFZ-450SE Shocks set up for a Banshee and a rider my size and weight by GT Thunder , YFZ-450R (Spindles, Hubs, Steering Stem, and Brakes) up front. In the rear I run a + Forward Powersports +1+1 Heavy Duty Rear Axle, +3 Rear Sing Arm, and the Stock Banshee Rear Shock. I have all my Bearings replaced and upgraded with All Ball's Bearings. As far as wheel and tire set up I run Deep Dish ITP Baja T-9 Aluminum Wheels with the Sport Lock Ring. On the Front I run Aluminum Douglas Yellow Labels with the rolled lip. My tires are Maxxis Razr knock offs (20X11-9 6-Ply AT-111 HD Rears/21X7-10 6-Ply AT-111 HD Fronts).

My suspension works great for me and I'm happy with it. I just couldn't pay $2,000 for Shocks and $800-$900 for a set of a arms. Like bansheeman2002 said a longer Swing arm and wider stance does not benefit most XC Racers. It makes it hard to navigate the the slender trails, but my circumstances are a little different. Most of the Thumper's I race against are YFZ-450R's and other quads that have a similar front wheel bases; when the tracks are made they make a trail that will accommodate those quads as well as big Utility Quad's like the Grizzly 700 and the Can-Am Renegades so I can travel the trails with ez. I added the longer rear swing arm because I'm a bigger guy (6'2" 220lbs). This made my Banshee a little bigger it is 3 inches longer and 6 inches wider than it was in its stock form. This helped out the smoothness of the ride tremendously and made my Banshee match my size and weight better and helped me keep from feeling the effects of Premature Fatigue. The extended swing arm also helps me shoot the straight up hills that are on the courses without fighting to keep my front end on the ground. I also drag race at a bunch of the local County Fairs and this aids in my take off and launching ability. You will hear a bunch of guys one has already commented on your thread tell you that my set up is a Cobbled up FAIL and call it junk but it works great for me and the different types of riding riding I do. It all comes down to how deep your pockets are, Who cuts the XC Courses, and what you prefer. This is what I did and It works. Good luck on your XC Banshee.

163207_175342309172432_100000899928699_357339_1924243_n.jpg

This is a picture of the Racer's/Riders that compete in the Kentucky Off Road Hare Scrambles. This picture should help give you a

better Idea of the terain and Quad set ups you might be compeating against.

The -1 or -2 swing arm is a largely over looked mod. Many seem to feel as though they wouldn't be able to climb hills or keep the front end down, this is entirely speculation and it not true. Unless you have an 85+ hp banshee the -2 is probably one of the more drastic changes for the better you can make to stock banshee suspension. Couple that with some +2+1 or +1+1 a arms, a +2 or +4 axle, and some better shocks all the way around and you have one hell of a ride. As mentioned good tires, strong rims, cooling mods, and perhaps a larger capacity tank are a must in the XC world. All of those things are going to make life easier for you over miles of the rough stuff.

Once you have the suspension ironed out focus on making the power usable/ridable. The -2 swinger is going to give you ALOT more traction than before, focus on a smooth power and torque curve. Get with one of the site sponsors and they will give you the hook up on a motor set up for your needs as you describe them. Do this ONLY after you have the suspension to handle more power.

• 1 month later...

please give some advise

thank you !

Rob

Well Rob racing the Xc and Mx tracks are two diff things Bro i Race Harescrambles AA pro class you can take a look at my bike if u want the only thing i have missin on my Banshee is the shocks Sold the Fox shocks I like them betta then all them other ones out there !! Not racing the Banshee no more But still racing im back on the Mx got the Kawee 250f 2009 but lets talk about XC you dont want a longer Swing ARM ! and going with them plus 1 and 2's A ARM IS nice but u gotta watch out for them Bike rocks Get ready to SPend BIG BUCKS on the suspension lol no joke there , Runing Tire's I see a lot of Maxx's and Hole shots I run the TURFF TAMER there nice and light use them when its dry out and when wet i run FIRRELIES when its Muddy i have a set of BED locks but i stoped useing them to much weight i run the light WHeels insteed also if your NEw to this get the 6 pl tires but again i dont use them im runing 4 ply i have not gotten a Flat at all i dont get why some guys get flat LOL dont know what there DOIng but I dont have that Problem , Also gas tank is the biggest They do have the 5 gal race tank that will last u 2 hour race just keep the bike no more then 20 over because its not a mx track its a hare scramble track FUCK THEM FMF pipes lol paul tuner are NICE also RUn that ICE COLD anti Frezz thats a plus and get a good clutch that will take a beat Down on the power shifting Invest in the Terry Cable Throttle System is a plus gives u a Twist and a thumb all in ONE !! thats about 156 bucks and U wanna RUN " BIG TIRES YOU NEED AS MUCH GROUND CLEARENCE AS U CAN GET !! 22s 23s tall and wide 10 inch wide RIM also get a 5 inch wide from for the Front i FInd that better then the 6 ich wide rim turns better and i like the way it turns , keep the stuck size sproclet on there u go bigger its gonna get in the way , Aslo SKID Plates for the Frame and swing Arm !! and DEFF get a Case SAVER !!!!! if that chain comes off your gonna Jam it hard in the motor so DEFF get one of those !!! your wanna Run a soft suspenion so you go faster through the Ruff parts basic you want this bike to RIDE like a Caddy in the Woods but Have Balls like a hot rod to get u up them hills and mud holes and WINNing the HOLE SHOT !! I shit you know with the power i got in my Banshee and how it was set up I WON every HOLE SHot at my Races I would put it in second Gear and SOME times 3 rd and shee had the power to RIP out of that HOLE when them guys started to pull of them line i already had a BIKE lead ON them and by the First Turn it was 6 bikes ahead , Now not saying I WON every race but i did take 1 st 2 nd and 3 rd at times , BUT IF u need more HELP on settin this thing up and tips on Racing in them Hare Scrambles LET ME KNOW

JimBanshee From 669 racing # 11x

• 4 weeks later...

What ever you do don't listen to the dipshit above me...He DOES have a COBBLED frontend...;)

I really do wish you would bring that piece of shit down to Kentucky, my Banshee would out perform yours in every aspect and in the woods it would just be a joke. If your running hare scrambles comfort and durability prevail over everything else.