Hub Painting

jonnypoo

BEST WHEEL SIZE AND TIRES ALSO WHAT BRAND FOR TRAILS  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, her it is jizz.. i want to make my hibs blue like my plastic. i have never taken anythign off of the bike except when i put pipes and stuff like that on so i do not know anythign about susepnsion at all ......how do i remove the hubs???? from axle and spindles so that i can paint them????/and what kinda paint can i use>??????and do i need to primer first??or can i take them to my friend at a body shop and have him paint them cheap so alll i need to know is how to get the hubs off...thanks you

:arrow: :arrow: :oops: :oops: <---------farting hehe

first take off the tire (4 nuts)

second, take off the large nut the with cotter pin that holds the hub on the spindle, the hub wont come off yet because you have to take off the brake caliper (2 bolts) once thoes are out pull the brake caliper off the brake rotor (disk), you might have to take off the brake guard to do so,( i think 2 bolts) i just keep mine off. (the guard has lots of holes and looks like a plate)., then you can slide the hub off the spindle.

I took off the rotor when i painted mine (4 allen wrench bolts).

when i painted mine i just cleaned them really well with laquar thinner, primmed them and painted them with spray paint cans, i did 2 coats of primer and 2-3 light coats of paint and 1 coat of clearcoat.

That sounds about what I did Bansheefanatic as far as primer and paint goes, but I left everything on my bike except the rims and tires, I just covered everthing around the front with a plastic bag and taped it up good, and on the back i wrapped the axel and swingarm with plastic and taped it good, and then sprayed the primer and paint on carefully. I used Rust-oleum (or however it is spelled) primer and paint. Still looks good with plenty of rides in dust and weeds.

I took all my hubs off to paint mine. I used masking tape to cover up the holes where the bearings when on the front hubs so they would get messed up. Only thing I didn't think about was the bolts and the inside on the rear hubs. The paint on the bolts made it a bit difficult to put the tire back on, and the paint inside the rear hubs made it difficult to slide them back on the axle. Finally got them on using Pam non stick cooking spray, lol... didn't have any grease of WD-40.

As far as what I used, I bought two cans of blue 1200 degree engine block paint. I figured if anything would stand up the to abuse a banshee goes through, that stuff would. Anyway, put two coats of the engine paint on, then put two coats of clear coat on it to shine it up. I couldn't have gotten a better match on the colors.

Painted_hubs.jpg

painted_hubs_finished.jpg

banshee10.jpg

the most you have have to do to your front brakes is seperate the pads if they close on ya before you get them mounted back on. It's easy enough with a flat head screw driver, just try not to scratch the pads or you'll have an awful grinding noise. Good luck with the paint!!!