Dual Piston Caliper Swap

i original seen the idea brought up by chariot performance asking the HQ about dual piston calipers. so me being impatient, i cant wait for chariot performance. a few people have already successfully swapped out there banshee calipers with trx250r and chimed in on chariots post. i got the general idea of what was involved, but i jumped into this blind and came out on top. So heres what i did.

First off your going to need a round house banshee swingarm, otherwise this will not work. given you have the correct swingarm arm you will also need a trx250r brake stay, C ring puller, 4 washers, trx250r caliper, bench grinder and Hybrid rotor.

Step 1. you will notice when you receive you brake stay that there is a milled spacers on the surface. this has to be removed in order to fit on your carrier. i used a bench grinder and grinded little at a time until it was perfect.

2010-03-22170039.jpg

after you grind it, it should look like this and fit like that.

2010-03-22174119.jpg

2010-03-22174136.jpg

Step 2. so after you have your brake stay on and you axle back on, you will notice your caliper will not bolt on. this is because the banshee brake hub will not clear the caliper, and modification is required again. i took my bench grinder and ground about a half inch into the alumium and made an arch effect.

250RCaliperInHand-1.jpg

2010-03-24190737.jpg

2010-03-24190730.jpg

Step 3. Step 3 should be pretty self explanatory. you will need 2 pairs of washers to shim out the caliper from brake stay, bolt your custom disc onto your hub, check your hubs clearance with the caliper, bleed brakes and tighten everything down and enjoy.

here are some pics of the spacing of the washers, and some various other comparisons pics.

2010-03-29194254.jpg

2010-03-29180429.jpg

2010-03-29180305.jpg

2010-03-29180442.jpg

and a few comparisons pics that i borrowed from the site.

250RBrakeStayComparison2.jpg

250RBrakeRotorComparison2.jpg

250RBrakeStayComparison.jpg

250RBrakeStayComparison.jpg

my rotor was cut by JDS or 87sheerips, honda used a 7.10inc disc vs yamahas 8.5inch, this increases ground clearance while adding braking performance. contact him for your own! my purpose for writing this is to help out anyone whos fed up with yamahas shitty rear brakes. it always nice to have directions when staring a project so you dont have to learn the hard way, gl and enjoy :cheers::cheers:

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also if you are wanting to increase brake performance, ideally, you would want to keep the yamaha's larger diameter rotor. A larger rotor takes less clamping force than a smaller rotor, while dissipating heat better. Thus, a custom brake stay thay allows the use of a dual piston caliper with the yamaha rotor would be the better of the options, unless you were really needing the ground clearance.

• 3 years later...

i original seen the idea brought up by chariot performance asking the HQ about dual piston calipers. so me being impatient, i cant wait for chariot performance. a few people have already successfully swapped out there banshee calipers with trx250r and chimed in on chariots post. i got the general idea of what was involved, but i jumped into this blind and came out on top. So heres what i did.

First off your going to need a round house banshee swingarm, otherwise this will not work. given you have the correct swingarm arm you will also need a trx250r brake stay, C ring puller, 4 washers, trx250r caliper, bench grinder and Hybrid rotor.

Step 1. you will notice when you receive you brake stay that there is a milled spacers on the surface. this has to be removed in order to fit on your carrier. i used a bench grinder and grinded little at a time until it was perfect.

RyFG1go.jpg

after you grind it, it should look like this and fit like that.

fp6Sw7r.jpg

v0wdbBa.jpg

Step 2. so after you have your brake stay on and you axle back on, you will notice your caliper will not bolt on. this is because the banshee brake hub will not clear the caliper, and modification is required again. i took my bench grinder and ground about a half inch into the alumium and made an arch effect.

JyHtJy6.jpg

vREg51R.jpg

hvUfdua.jpg

Step 3. Step 3 should be pretty self explanatory. you will need 2 pairs of washers to shim out the caliper from brake stay, bolt your custom disc onto your hub, check your hubs clearance with the caliper, bleed brakes and tighten everything down and enjoy.

here are some pics of the spacing of the washers, and some various other comparisons pics.

ikXoGtR.jpg

aLiFKON.jpg

5enAXxi.jpg

eHYpuun.jpg

and a few comparisons pics that i borrowed from the site.

h33nwfy.jpg

hq637li.jpg

MtAMEFV.jpg

my rotor was cut by JDS or 87sheerips, honda used a 7.10inc disc vs yamahas 8.5inch, this increases ground clearance while adding braking performance. contact him for your own! my purpose for writing this is to help out anyone whos fed up with yamahas shitty rear brakes. it always nice to have directions when staring a project so you dont have to learn the hard way, gl and enjoy :cheers::cheers:

Edited by NickisGod

9 minutes ago, kawa110 said:

That’s a 250r rear caliper and brake stay? I like the idea of more ground clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes. but others mentioned that a rear braking would benifit from a larger rotor if it would fit. something i plan on revisiting when time permits.