Won't start, Kick start won't even go down, it's like it's stuck.

Stephen

My little brother was riding my banshee, he slammed on the brakes without pulling in the clutch and it died. I haven't been able to get it started since. When I went to kick start it, it sounded kind of like it was flooded. It got stolen last week, I got it back the next day, but now it's not even trying to kick start. It is like the kick start is stuck. It won't even go down. Do I need to rebuild the engine or something? If anyone has any suggestions let me know. stpleb@mac.com

My little brother was riding my banshee, he slammed on the brakes without pulling in the clutch and it died. I haven't been able to get it started since. When I went to kick start it, it sounded kind of like it was flooded. It got stolen last week, I got it back the next day, but now it's not even trying to kick start. It is like the kick start is stuck. It won't even go down. Do I need to rebuild the engine or something? If anyone has any suggestions let me know. stpleb@mac.com

the engine probably seized up. so it got really hot. didn't have time to cool. and welded itself to the cylinders.

try roll starting it, or tie it to another four wheeler and drag it along in gear and try to start it. if tires wont spin...its seized up.

otherwise take off ur side cover. and make sure the kicker gears arn't caught up. GET AN OWNERS MANUAL.

Trying to force a motor to turn over when it clearly doesn't want to budge is only asking for more trouble.

Your motor is most likely seized or otherwise bound up. You can put it in neutral and try to roll the crank over (via flywheel nut) and that will tell you if it is in the transmission or the top end.

X2

AT MOST, the tires wouldn't spin and just drag... big fucking deal

Lol! Big fucking deal is right! My buddies bike wouldn't start so he tried to drag it. Flooded the crankcase with fuel and bent a connecting rod. Big fucking deal now! NEVER pull start something. If it has to be forced then something is in a bind and forcing it is only gonna break more shit.

Pull the clutch cover and check the kicker gear. Rotate the flywheel by hand to check if it is engine seizure.

SP

Have you tried pulling the plugs and then kicking? Sounds like hydro-lock to me. Your brother could of flooded it, then you try starting for a while, adding more fuel into the cylinders. Then the dipshit steals it and kicks it a few hundred times til it locks up.

Or

They stole it, rode the pis out of it and blew it up

I wouldnt force it

check the kick idler and also the drive gear on back of the clutch basket ive broke them a dozen times before on my bigger bikes if not your fubared pull the head off and take a look

Dont force it. Sorry, but it is a big deal. The bottom end could still be good if the top end is locked up. A $300 problem can turn into a 1k probelm in a second all b/c of simply dragging it.

Do like Shannon said and take off the stator cover, and spin the fly wheel by hand. Then move on to the next step and so on.

Lol! Big fucking deal is right! My buddies bike wouldn't start so he tried to drag it. Flooded the crankcase with fuel and bent a connecting rod. Big fucking deal now! NEVER pull start something. If it has to be forced then something is in a bind and forcing it is only gonna break more shit.

Pull the clutch cover and check the kicker gear. Rotate the flywheel by hand to check if it is engine seizure.

SP

never been a problem for me once. i offered my opinion, is that a problem?

never been a problem for me once. i offered my opinion, is that a problem?

The only problem is exactly like Gary said, following bad advice could cause a $300 problem to turn into a 1k problem. Not an issue for me, but the ole boy you give the advice to might be a little peeved.

If it doesn't work the way it is supposed to work, then something is wrong. Forcing it is the wrong route. Take it apart and find out what is not right and fix that. Just offering my humble opinion. No disrespect intended.

SP

• 2 weeks later...

I dont now if its the same problem i had.I sent my motor out to be rebuilt and the guy told me the stator coil was soo dirty and packed with dirt that it wouldnt allow the kick starter to work. maybe you can look at that too.