IMS tank. Can anything be done?

94BANSHEE

IMS used to sell a graphics kit that was for their tanks,but i'm not sure if they still do.I know what they used were thicker than normal and had breather holes in them so they wouldn't bubble off.You could maybe try doing that to whatever your putting on and see if they hold that way.

wipe it clean with engine degreaser (gunk) then once most of the oil residue is off even though you may think it already is, rub it again really well with laq thinner and a blue shop paper towel, then again with rubbing alcohol right before the sticker goes on. then use a plasitc puddy knife and press out any bubble and really get it on there. If it comes off after that your getting some really shitty decals.

Fuel gets through the plastic on a molecular level which causes your graphics to peel off. The only thing that may help is to get graphics with holes punched in them. I still have to try it on mine. FMF graphics and one industries are full of holes, and you may be able to order graphics that are perforated direct from the manufacturer. Just search online and ask some questions

Fuel gets through the plastic on a molecular level which causes your graphics to peel off. The only thing that may help is to get graphics with holes punched in them. I still have to try it on mine. FMF graphics and one industries are full of holes, and you may be able to order graphics that are perforated direct from the manufacturer. Just search online and ask some questions

do what?!? :blink: IDK what the fk pos plastic gas tank you have, but no gas on any molucular level passes through my tank. maybe if I left in in the freezer over night then put in on and rode in the middle of the day? If that where the case paint would peel right off too, and that hasnt been the case for me. I dont see a tank that secrets fuel being dot approved or any type of anything approved. wtf have the stickers on the side of my premix vp can come off after years? dont you think that a if a poly fuel cell secreted or condensded gas into the trunk of a race car it would be allowed down the track. I have marker ratios on my gas can from 2 years ago that wont rub off. tanks and cells are made out of poly material to prevent this from happening, thats why you arent supposed to use certain containers to store fuel in. even if the fuel evaporated over time it would still leave an oil residue, if I clean the side of my tank full of gas and dont get it dirty,. a year later there would be no residue on the outsid eof the tank. if your gas dissapears over time it is from heating and cooling of gases escaping from the vent tube over time. if you notice when you leave a can outside in the heat closed tight it blows up then put it in the shade and it shrinks, or when blown up you open it and preasure releases, that is from heat expanding molecules and cold shrinking them, and through the cap or vent is the only escape because the outside is fkn dry!

do what?!? :blink: IDK what the fk pos plastic gas tank you have, but no gas on any molucular level passes through my tank. maybe if I left in in the freezer over night then put in on and rode in the middle of the day? If that where the case paint would peel right off too, and that hasnt been the case for me. I dont see a tank that secrets fuel being dot approved or any type of anything approved. wtf have the stickers on the side of my premix vp can come off after years? dont you think that a if a poly fuel cell secreted or condensded gas into the trunk of a race car it would be allowed down the track. I have marker ratios on my gas can from 2 years ago that wont rub off. tanks and cells are made out of poly material to prevent this from happening, thats why you arent supposed to use certain containers to store fuel in. even if the fuel evaporated over time it would still leave an oil residue, if I clean the side of my tank full of gas and dont get it dirty,. a year later there would be no residue on the outsid eof the tank. if your gas dissapears over time it is from heating and cooling of gases escaping from the vent tube over time. if you notice when you leave a can outside in the heat closed tight it blows up then put it in the shade and it shrinks, or when blown up you open it and preasure releases, that is from heat expanding molecules and cold shrinking them, and through the cap or vent is the only escape because the outside is fkn dry!

Google is your friend. Look up what molecular means. I never mentioned the level in my tank changing or putting anything in the freezer, or gas pouring through the plastic.

Contact IMS if you want and they will tell you exactly the same thing.

By the way my tank does not keep any secrets from me.

i called ims myself about this a year ago and they said the same thing. a small amount of fuel goes threw the plastic, which ruins the adhesive on the decal. thats why race fuel is stored in steel containers vs plastic. ims told me that you can paint the tanks but all the fuel has to be out of the tank and to leave it outside in the sun for a day or so, that way all the vapors are totaly gone. then paint will stick, if you try to paint with fuel in the tank it will end up failing. i gave up and left the decals off.

i called ims myself about this a year ago and they said the same thing. a small amount of fuel goes threw the plastic, which ruins the adhesive on the decal. thats why race fuel is stored in steel containers vs plastic. ims told me that you can paint the tanks but all the fuel has to be out of the tank and to leave it outside in the sun for a day or so, that way all the vapors are totaly gone. then paint will stick, if you try to paint with fuel in the tank it will end up failing. i gave up and left the decals off.

yeah thats why 450r graphics come with holes in the gas tank decal

Exactly, that's why I recommended draining the tank and letting it sit for a few days. Anything less than the 3M type adhesive won't last very long too.

• 8 years later...

I know it's an old thread but I looked into this for my tank and decided I want to try this method in the link below. I know it's not a banshee but they're using a Clarke tank. I'm assuming some of this method could be used for decals too.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/3023-painted-clarke-tank-today.html#/topics/3023?page=1

Edited by R0dd

Proper prep and adhesive promoter are critical. Use quality paint and clear coat.

If you are not familiar with hvlp and proper prep, take it to someone who knows what they are doing

Giving away "TSS" for FREE!!!