Stock Petcock Mod!

grpark20

OK, got bored today and modded up the stock petcock. I drilled out the other side and added elbow and a barb. I'm not too concerned with getting the same flow as a pingel but mainly getting dual lines to avoid the "T" to make routing lines easier. I can drill out the actual part of the petcock that allows reserve and "on" to flow so that they both flow at the same time and still be able to shut off the fuel. I do not know if I need to do this though for my fuel needs? Pics are below of what it looks like and surprisingly it doesn't leak. I've got $10 in it so far. I'm going out right now to get an actual flow rate of the tank with the gas cap on and no lines on petcock....gonna let the gas flow right out of pet cock into a pan for 1 minute and measure how much gas flowed. I did notice that the part with the elbow flows a smidge lighter than the straight part. Plan on running the elbow part line to the left carb being its the closest and the straight line to the right carb since it's the fartherest. Need comments, suggestions, and concerns. I do plan on buying a pingel but entertain me please. Also is pingel needed with 4 mil, 35's, and dune port....other mods in sig if needed.

DSCN0509.jpg

DSCN0507.jpg

DSCN0508.jpg

DSCN0510.jpg

DSCN0511.jpg

I'll be back in 15 min with flow rate.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked the flow rate. This modded petcock flowed 2.75 cups of gas in one minute. That equals 22 ounces. So for comparison that is just a smidge shy of 2 cans of soda. I have a handy dandy converter and at this rate the petcock will flow 10.3 gallans an hour. This is the maximum flow. All you engineers out there let me know if I'm making no sense. With this rate to flow out the entire tank (3.2 gallons) it will take 18 1/2 minutes. So good, bad, ugly?

Edited by grpark20

Just checked the flow rate. This modded petcock flowed 2.75 cups of gas in one minute. That equals 22 ounces. So for comparison that is just a smidge shy of 2 cans of soda. I have a handy dandy converter and at this rate the petcock will flow 10.3 gallans an hour. This is the maximum flow. All you engineers out there let me know if I'm making no sense. With this rate to flow out the entire tank (3.2 gallons) it will take 18 1/2 minutes. So good, bad, ugly?

I think what you did is great, I've been toying with doing the same. :thumbsup: What size fittings did you run?

I think what you did is great, I've been toying with doing the same. :thumbsup: What size fittings did you run?

Not great if it's not functional to stop a melt down!!?? I used 5/16 inch barbs that are 1/8 inch MIP. I have no clue what MIP means...I pretty much took the petcock to the store with me and had a mental picture and pieced it togther there with what looked like it will fit!

Not great if it's not functional to stop a melt down!!?? I used 5/16 inch barbs that are 1/8 inch MIP. I have no clue what MIP means...I pretty much took the petcock to the store with me and had a mental picture and pieced it togther there with what looked like it will fit!

You could always just run the front fitting out strait instead of using the 90* fitting. The fuel line will have a smoother bend (as long as you don't kink it) to it and will flow better. The fewer the sharp bends the better.

When I used to crew chief on sprint cars, i never used anything over a 45* fitting on the fuel lines.

oh and MIP stands for "Male Iron Pipe"

You could always just run the front fitting out strait instead of using the 90* fitting. The fuel line will have a smoother bend (as long as you don't kink it) to it and will flow better. The fewer the sharp bends the better.

When I used to crew chief on sprint cars, i never used anything over a 45* fitting on the fuel lines.

oh and MIP stands for "Male Iron Pipe"

I was worried about line kinking....if the experts here say it's a go, then I'll try. I'm on the fence with getting a pingel!?

Still bored, so I modded the petcock some more. I no longer have resereve. I removed both tubes and drilled out center of top and bottom of petcock. Also removed the center bridge in the tank where the petcock holes are. I tested this flow rate and now have 4 cups of gas in one minute. This is 32 ounces. For comparison that is 1 quart of oil. That is equivalent to 15 gallans an hour. My math earlier on how long it would take to flow out a tank is wrong...trying to figure it out now. Need the experts to let me know if this is enough flow for 4 mil, 35's, and dune port.

Before

DSCN0513.jpg

After

DSCN0519.jpg

DSCN0517.jpg

Edited by grpark20

The first mod with just adding the elbow and barbs will flow a whole tank in 18 min 40 sec.

The second mod with drilling out centers and removing bridges will flow a whole tank in 12 min 48 sec.

This is right of the pet cock. Times will more than likely go up once fuel hoses are added. Need opinions please!!

Edited by grpark20

Also is pingel needed with 4 mil, 35's, and dune port....other mods in sig if needed.

My 4mil, mild port, and 35's was sucking my bowls dry. I had to buy a Pingel. It was ok for playing around, but if you layed into it for a couple minutes, the flow couldn't keep up.

By the way, cool idea. I'd rather spend the $79 on a Pingel, then take the time doing what you're doing. Did you do a "flow test" on the untouched stock valve? You need to check the flow of each individual barb fitting. The straight one might be flowing more than stock was, and the one with two 90* bends might flow less than stock. Cool concept though. :thumbsup: Let us know when you get it perfected.

I am using 5/16'' fuel line from my pingel to the carbs insted of 1/4", I had to use hose clamps of course. I also gutted my stock gas cap and those two mods really complimented the flow of the pingel. Friggen fuel pours out of the fuel lines now!

Edited by RUDEDAWG

I'm not sure on the flow rate of a dual pingel but i have one on my empty tank right now.Tomorrow or later tonight i'll go out and fill the tank and drain it to see how long it takes.That modded stock one seem to flow damn good though for sure.There was someone a few months back that posted a thread of his modded stock petcock but i dont think he had as much detail as you do...Good work for sure man

I am using 5/16'' fuel line from my pingel to the carbs insted of 1/4", I had to use hose clamps of course. I also gutted my stock gas cap and those two mods really complimented the flow of the pingel. Friggen fuel pours out of the fuel lines now!

Can you be more specific on what was done to your gas cap Please..

thanks

Just take your gas cap and flip it over and you will see two little screws, remove them and take the bottom cover off and you will find two small ball bearings, take them both out and SAVE THEM. put everything back together and walla! you have a high flowing gas cap. Not recommended by the DOT.(department of transportation) :evil: as the fuel can splash out of the vent tube during a roll-over. Geez,I love redneck engineering!

Edited by RUDEDAWG

My 4mil, mild port, and 35's was sucking my bowls dry. I had to buy a Pingel. It was ok for playing around, but if you layed into it for a couple minutes, the flow couldn't keep up.

By the way, cool idea. I'd rather spend the $79 on a Pingel, then take the time doing what you're doing. Did you do a "flow test" on the untouched stock valve? You need to check the flow of each individual barb fitting. The straight one might be flowing more than stock was, and the one with two 90* bends might flow less than stock. Cool concept though. :thumbsup: Let us know when you get it perfected.

Unfortunately I'm an idiot and never tested stock pingel because I was more concerned with getting 2 lines and getting rid of the "T" It's easy to do if anyone wants to let is know. Just let it flow for 1 minute in to a pan. Then pour whats in the pan in a measuring cup.....DISCLAIMER: DON"T USE YOUR WIFES/GIRLFRIENDS/SIGNIFICANT OTHERS MEASURING CUP AND THEN COOK WITH IT. I still do plan on getting a pingel....I'm just killing time now. Just wanted to be able to remove the "T" for line routing.

I also gutted my gas cap...drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the top once I threw out the metal/ball stuff and installed a 1/4 MIP x 1/4 brass barb, and then just put the vent line on.